Looking for Bluetooth headphone recommendations
Jun 27, 2013 at 6:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

ve4grm

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

I'm looking for a bluetooth headset that matches some requirements I have, and was hoping someone could recommend something.

1. I'm not getting these for audiophile sound (or else I wouldn't go with bluetooth), but rather for convenience. That said, I'd like something with decent sound.
  2. I'm looking for something under $150, though I'm willing to go up to around $200 if I need to.
  3. I would prefer over-ear headphones, or on-ear ones that don't push overly hard against the head. I wear glasses, and too much pressure hurts after a while. Earbuds are alright, but the only ones I've used that stay in properly block out too much sound for my liking. Feel free to suggest awesome earbuds, though.
  4. On that note, noise cancelling is not required. I'll be using these in an office, and would like to hear people who come up to me.
  5. I'd like something with a good battery life. At least 6+ hours, with more being better. I want to be able to get through an entire workday with them.
  6. Comfort is key. As I hinted at above, I'll be wearing these for extended periods.
  7. I wear glasses, and I have a large head. As in, I don't fit hats at a hat store. I'm hesitant to buy some styles (behind the head, for example) sight-unseen because of this, at least without a recommendation from someone who has used them.

I've had a heck of a time searching for something that fits all of these requirements.

Right now, the new Bose AE2-W headphones seems like they match what I want best. I'm also wondering if anybody has tried the Creative WP-450 or WP-300?

I've also heard good things about the Motorokr S305, but I'm hesitant about the style (big head, glasses).

Any recommendations out there?

Thanks!

EDIT: Oh, as for genres of music, it will really vary. My playlists verge from rock, to punk, to ska, to folk, to rockabilly. I don't know if that's helpful or not.

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:22 PM Post #2 of 16
Nothing? Come on, I can't believe nobody has any experience or opinions about bluetooth headphones.

I'll let the thread die and get buried if nobody responds after this one. I'm really hoping for some advice, though.

Jun 29, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 16
Sennheiser has a Bluetooth range. Not that good hough.

Jun 29, 2013 at 11:12 PM Post #6 of 16
Quote:
If you want some bluetooth headphones, try the sony MDR-1RBT, or if your looking for a budget type, try the Philips SHB9100.

Those Sony ones look pretty sweet, but are unfortunately out of my price range for the moment. I'll definitely take this into consideration, thanks.

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:16 AM Post #7 of 16
Yeah people are basically being cockbags about this post because you've broken a few cardinal rules here. One, you mentioned Bose in a non-hateful manner. And two, you are searching for bluetooth headphones for something other than ritual sacrifice by fire; and that- by default- makes you a headfi'er's equivalent of an ******. :D

Let me go ahead and commit some Head-fi suicide and review my experience with the Bose AE2w. I went, yesterday, to a local Bose store and gave these cans a shot. Here are a few first thoughts. They look great- very classy in presentation. They were extremely light; like a feather. The pads on the ear-cups, and headband were very, very plush. The whole experience of holding these was actually concerning because they simply had no weight to them. Until I looked at the build quality more, I was afraid these were a little too flimsy.

A major concern for me was how pictures of these cans made the bluetooth stuff look like a wart hanging off the left ear. In reality, it doesn't look so bad. Its still obvious, but it seems to present itself like its supposed to be there. Also, the salesman was very quick to tell me that it was engineered to be produce no more hang or weight than a normal cable. I think he was right because when I put the on after a very quick pairing to me phone, I was amazed at how comfortable these are.

Then there is the sound. I connected the headphones to a very late model phone with the latest bluetooth profile and they were able to hook up quickly and smoothly. I was quite impressed with just how nice they sounded- for bluetooth. These have a cable you can use to connect the headphones as a backup if your battery dies- they didnt have it in the store. I would have loved to compare. The overall experience of these headphones can be summed up in a word, for me: Nice.

Problems with AE2w- yeah I found problems in just 10 minutes of playing with them. They aren't that loud. They get up there, but I imagine it pounds down the battery pretty quickly. They leak. So, in an office, you aren't going to be blaring these at max volume- if you're that kind of guy. (PS- Rockabilly, really? lol) In any case, any reasonable volume and there isn't really any leak. I am confident of this because there were only three people in the store: Two employees and myself. It was quiet. Also, These headphones were built primarily to be light, sound quality as second to the form factor. As a general rule, I try not to buy form over function.

I went home thoroughly impressed and, after a few hours, I found myself surfing the Bose website. I bought 'em. I put 'em on a no interest payment plan.. whats 50 bones a month for a few months? Besides, there's a money back guarantee and a warranty. I'll let ya know.
I will post a formal review once I've had some time with them.

Jul 14, 2013 at 9:34 AM Post #8 of 16
Hi, I own a Jabra Halo, and I think it've met your prerequisites, it's light, comfort, and I can listen to musics up to around 7 hours from a fully charged. Not sure whether it fits your head, but you may give it a try. However, I have to admit that it's a little bit fragile, you have to be careful when you handling them cause the housing is just plastic, mine crack after a few months of use cause I'm a very careless person.

Jul 15, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #9 of 16
Hi, 
This is my first post on the forum, so first thank you all for the forum. 

I'm also looking for cheap-ish bluetooth headphones in the uk. They're not for running but more walking, and I would prefer in ear ones. I did see these ones but I have no idea about the sound quality on this. Any input welcome.
I don't think they will suit OP though, being in ear and all. 

Jul 15, 2013 at 8:09 AM Post #10 of 16
Sennheiser does have a few but they are not so cheap, and pretty unpopular even outside headfi.

Creative has one. Sony too. I suggest try mmx series from senn.

Jul 16, 2013 at 4:25 AM Post #11 of 16
Well if its any help, I might be able to get The Anker bluetooth I talked about for a review. So I'll post a new thread about them if I can. I'm not expecting anything special for sound reproduction though...

Jul 16, 2013 at 10:51 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
Well if its any help, I might be able to get The Anker bluetooth I talked about for a review. So I'll post a new thread about them if I can. I'm not expecting anything special for sound reproduction though...

Try checking it out. And also, the Philips SHB9200 are good blutooth headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back