Looking for Bluegrass suggestions
Nov 28, 2009 at 9:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

tjohnusa

Headphoneus Supremus
I would like to here some upbeat kind of stuff from newer bands. Thanks ya'll

Nov 29, 2009 at 12:58 AM Post #3 of 18
How true to bluegrass do you want to be?

Leftover Salmon is a fun one. They categorize the music as "Polyethnic Cajun Slamgrass". Euphoria is my favorite album of theirs.

Nov 29, 2009 at 1:50 AM Post #5 of 18
I liked The Bad Livers pretty well while they were still stompin around.

But is there any sane reason for why you haven't gone out and grabbed a bunch of old Louvin Brothers? Razor Tie's Best of collection is a fine place to start.

Nov 29, 2009 at 8:32 PM Post #6 of 18
I'll second Old Crow Medicine Show, and also suggest:

Sam Bush
Béla Fleck (get the albums Drive, Tales From the Acoustic Planet vols 1 & 2)
Chris Thile/Punch Brothers

Nov 30, 2009 at 3:55 AM Post #7 of 18
Alison Krauss and Union Station - "Live" is an outstanding live performance and "New Favorite" is a great studio album.

The lead singer, Krauss, also did an album with Robert Plant - "Rising Sands" which is well liked, at least at my house.

Tony Williamson (on Maple Shade Records) - "Still Light of the Evening", sounds fantastic and is a hell of a performance. Check it out here.

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:03 PM Post #8 of 18
For instrumental stuff:

Jerry Douglas (his solo albums)

I'll 2nd Béla Fleck's (Drive and Tales From The Acoustic Planet v.I and II)

Strength In Numbers - The Telluride Sessions (Douglas, Fleck, Bush, Edgar Meyer, Mark O'Connor) Basically the acoustic super-group to beat all.

Steve Martin The Crow: New Songs For The Five String Banjo

Modern Traditional:

The Del McCoury Band
The Grasscals
The Lonesome River Band
The Bluegrass Album Band (another great super-group)
Cherryholmes

Pandora some of these bands to find some more stuff.

Dec 1, 2009 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 18
Also check out Yonder Mountain String Band. Their last two studio releases sound fine... Great to see live as well.

Dec 1, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #10 of 18
old and in the way (grin) which is a short lived Jerry band.

also on the jerry spirit, there's garcia/grisman which can get bluegrassy at times
wink.gif

jerry did love to pick..

also, how about doc watson? not exactly BG but if he's new to you, give him a try.

Dec 1, 2009 at 6:52 PM Post #12 of 18
Lookie here: download | Tapers.org

These concert recordings are all free and okayed by the artists. For some really hot pickin', I suggest you check out the "houseband" shows. The Telluride Bluegrass Festival House Band includes Sam Bush, Béla Fleck, Edgar Meyer, Jerry Douglas, Bryan Sutton, and depending on the year, Tim O'Brien or Darrol Anger. This is a supergroup of the highest order. Enjoy!
biggrin.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:09 PM Post #13 of 18
Agree with others here regarding Old Crow Medicine Show although they have lost site of the plot as far as being pure Bluegrass.
The 2 (and there must be others) hot young Bluegrass bands seem to be :
1)Infamous Stringdusters.
They have 2 albums out being "Fork in the road" and their self titled 2nd album. Both are excellent.

2)Greensky Bluegrass.
These guys are from Michigan. Great live. The last CD is called "Five Interstates" (I think). Have seen them twice at Telluride and to be honest they blow Yonder Mountain String Band away. Check them out.

Other than these you might check out Darrly Scott. Singer/Songwriter from Nashville with Bluegrass intentions. His album of covers (Modern Hymns) is very good as is his album made with Tim OBrien.

Enjoy.

Dec 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Baldeagle58 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The 2 (and there must be others) hot young Bluegrass bands seem to be :
1)Infamous Stringdusters.
They have 2 albums out being "Fork in the road" and their self titled 2nd album. Both are excellent.

2)Greensky Bluegrass.
These guys are from Michigan. Great live. The last CD is called "Five Interstates" (I think). Have seen them twice at Telluride and to be honest they blow Yonder Mountain String Band away. Check them out.

Enjoy.

Thanks for the tip. Haven't been able to go to Telluride for two years, so it's great to find out who's out there nowadays.

Yonder is still pretty fun, but now I'll have to check Greensky Bluegrass. Hoping to go to Telluride this summer...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back