Looking for best quality headphones for running/exercise
Feb 23, 2006 at 5:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

RunningMan

New Head-Fier
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I'm basically looking for one thing. New headphones. I'm a music buff, so quality matters. But mainly, functionality is my current aim because I already have great ones for when I'm sitting around. The ones I want I need for when I'm running and doing weights. So the kind that go over the head don't work since I tend to wear hats when running, also, the ones that go behind the neck don't work when I do anything where my back and head are pressed against a board (ie. bench press). So I'm looking for something that hugs the ear. What are the best quality ones as far as those go? Also, I considered going for wireless ones. Any ideas for that as well? The wire flapping around when I'm running is quite annoying. I do 5k runs, so its a long time that I'm having to readjust my current headphones (which are the kind that go behind the neck...I just don't wear them when I do weights).

basshead.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 5:53 PM Post #2 of 16
i work out an hour plus daily. i use the ultimate ears super fi 5 pro and find them to be fine for this application. they sound pretty good and they fit securely. good luck!

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #3 of 16
i'd stay away from iem's when you're at the gym, especially when you're running. Unless you use foams, the iems tend to "bounce" and create noise with each "step" you take. Also, if/when you sweat, i find it sometimes goes in your ear and results in either a soggy foam or through capillary action, some water between the rubber sleeve and your ear which is realy unpleasant as well.

Some koss ksc75's imo are perfect for working out. They're dirt cheap so you don't feel bad about breaking them, fit securly to your ears as they are clipons, and do sound quite good.

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:18 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by RunningMan
Anything with a bit more, er, style?

rolleyes.gif

Also, what is IEM?

IEM is In Ear Monitor. They are canalphones that go into your ear canal, they sound fairly good, isolate you very well for the most part, but a lot of people cant handle something actually inside their ear. Also I personally dont think they be the best choice for running.

Some Koss KSC75 would be a really good choice. Very cheap, sound downright amazing for their price, and they are fairly trendy/style~ish looking.

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:21 PM Post #6 of 16
I think you should probably do a forum search, as this is a well discussed and popular topic. Spend some time digging through threads about running and excersize, and then post a new topic with more specific questions.

Target

PS Sorry about your wallet, and if you've never been on this forum before I have an eerie feeling that you will soon be replacing your home phones too. I thought I had good cans (headphones) before coming here, $400 later I feel that I have decent cans, but am itching to upgrade. Go figure.

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:32 PM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum. I'm basically looking for one thing. New headphones. I'm a music buff, so quality matters. But mainly, functionality is my current aim because I already have great ones for when I'm sitting around. The ones I want I need for when I'm running and doing weights. So the kind that go over the head don't work since I tend to wear hats when running, also, the ones that go behind the neck don't work when I do anything where my back and head are pressed against a board (ie. bench press).
(...)

I had similar problems, but this is what works for me when I work out (and I work out 5 times a week).

I had trouble with earbuds and in-ear canal monitors when working out: sweat makes them very uncomfortable, and when you accidentally pull a cord (you are exercising after all), the yanking of the earbud can be painful on your ear. Been there many times.

Behind-the-neck street-style phones were just simply uncomfortable working out. When you lay down (bench presses), it's just uncomfortable.

Large earcup, studio-style closed headphones? No way. Not only they make your head extra-sweaty, but make you look like a huge nerd from planet Nerdia (picture yourself in shorts wearing a set of Senn HD-590 or Sony MDR V6. Not a pretty look). The sweating is bad enough, but keep in mind that large, closed earcup phones are heavier and will bounce and probably fall off with your exercise movements.

What you need for working out is a [size=small]lightweight headband set[/size]. This is the most comfortable and convenient for the gym or jogging around (Sony got it right 25 years ago when they used this very headphone style for their early Walkman cassette players, and now I understand why).

These are the reasons why you need a light headband headphone:
  1. light weight, won't fall off
  2. doesn't make your sweat uncomfortable
  3. pads can be removed and washed
  4. Can be easily removed if you need to take them off for a specific exercise
  5. If you accidentally pull them off, the yanking won't hurt your ears (unlike earbuds)
  6. You won't look like a nerd from outer space
  7. You can wear them over a hat or cap without much problems
So, my recommendations are either one of the following phones (which only cost around $40):
  1. SENNHEISER PX-100
  2. KOSS PORTA-PRO
As a major fan of Sennheiser products (I just love the Senn sound), I have to recommend the PX-100. They sound incredibly good, beyond belief, and are supra-aural. The PX-100 are very comfy, and make my workout routines more enjoyable. And they fold neatly to carry them around in a neat case they enclose in the package.

EXTRA TIP: to avoid your headphone from falling off or accidentally getting caught in the exercise equipment, wear the cable BEHIND your head, instead of in the front. Trust me on this one. Only wear the cable on the front when doing bench presses (for obvious reasons). For just about anything else, you'll be fine if you wear your cable behind the neck

Happy exercising, and happy shopping for cans.
280smile.gif

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #8 of 16
Wow, thanks for the quick replies guys. I did do some minor riffling through past threads, but only about 4 or 5 pages by the time I gave up and decided to ask.

I didn't know about the ear bud things (ie. sweat; accidental yankings). I know that with my current set, I sometimes do accidently yank them off my head. But thats what advice is for...

I guess I'll have to go shop around first, but at least I now know what I'm looking for. Thanks again everyone. I'll keep looking back here in case someone else has something to say and also look for previous threads.

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 16
The only difference, is the 75's ear clip is wrapped and comfyer in my opinion. The 35 just has a thin piece of plastic. I run with KSC75's and they sound great and there is no headband to worry about.

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:51 PM Post #12 of 16
Staring at the KSC75s for long enough, I'm starting to think those would do well. But still, is the difference just the ear clip part? I figure I can buy the cheaper 75's and if I don't like it, its less of a financial loss if I really need to switch to the 35's. Anyone else wanna chime in? I think I might go buy them tonight, if I can find them. What stores would be gauranteed to have them?

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:04 PM Post #13 of 16
for the gym, i use shure e2c so that i don't have to hear the bad gym music. they seem to take a beating pretty well. for running, the only that i really have liked is the audio technica ec7. even though they're buds, their clip makes them hold really closely to my ears. plus, they let sound in so you can still be aware of your environment.

Feb 23, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:

Staring at the KSC75s for long enough, I'm starting to think those would do well. But still, is the difference just the ear clip part? I figure I can buy the cheaper 75's and if I don't like it, its less of a financial loss if I really need to switch to the 35's. Anyone else wanna chime in? I think I might go buy them tonight, if I can find them. What stores would be gauranteed to have them?

If you don't like the KSC-75, I don't think you'll like the KSC-35 either. I think the KSC-35 has an older version of the same driver that's used in the KSC-75 (the 75's is titanium coated or something?). I think I've heard people say they like the old drivers better. But in any case, I don't think KOSS is still selling the KSC-35. I thought they were dumping them on ebay?

Feb 23, 2006 at 9:36 PM Post #15 of 16
Even though it seems that IEM's have been ruled out I will say that the memory wire and over the ear dealy on the UE Super.fi's makes them signifigantly less noisy regarding bodily movement and IMO keeps them sitting pretty in your ears regardless of what your doing. I run with them constantly with foamies and they are going to crap pretty quick. I would suggest saving the shipping and getting extra foamies right away as the UE's don't come with anymore than a single set.

I'll also throw my hat in for the px-100's for running as well. They fit well, although I find they still need manipulation to get 'em straight every so often whereas the IEM's simply are there, and not going anywhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back