Looking for Best Portable, Closed Headphones
Jan 22, 2010 at 4:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Wasgo

New Head-Fier
I'm trying to figure out what is the best pair of portable, closed headphones I can get for use with my unamped iPhone. So far, I'm leaning towards the Sennheiser HD 228, and folding is not a requirement. I just want something to listen to on the train to work without disturbing other people, and I'm tired of using IEM. I'm looking to spend under $100. Any advice?

Jan 23, 2010 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 9
I have no experience of the iphone and so I can't comment on its otput power or control.

So you want closed back headphones, do you need them to sit on your ears or around your ears?

Do you want a noise reduction circuit?

Are you bothered by what they will look like on your head?

How big is your head?

What sort of music do you listen to?

What is most important to you in terms of the noise that you hear, bass, treble, vocals, mids, soundstage, separation?

You have set a limit of $100 which is a bit low for 'best portable closed back headphones' You would need to have a budget of perhaps $200 to get this. and at this level, if bass is your thing I would recommend the Sennheiser HD380 pro with no hessitation, other than I am not sure if the iphone can drive it, I know my Zen Vision M can get them going OK at 23/25 on my output.

However, we can give you some advice on 'best budget $100 closed back headphones'

Get back with some answers and peeps can give you some recommendations within your taste and budget.

Cheers

Varkie

Jan 24, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aardvarks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have no experience of the iphone and so I can't comment on its otput power or control.

So you want closed back headphones, do you need them to sit on your ears or around your ears?

I'd prefer around my ears but I'm flexible on that point.

Quote:

Do you want a noise reduction circuit?

Ideally, being closed, they should block out some noise, but a noise reduction circuit is not necessary, nor particularly desired.

Quote:

Are you bothered by what they will look like on your head?

Not particularly, as long as the design isn't loud. Ugly is fine, but glowing lights wouldn't be.

Quote:

How big is your head?

Larger than average, but I'm still able to wear most hats in a large size.

Quote:

What sort of music do you listen to?

Dance, rock, rap, pop, and country are the most common.

Quote:

What is most important to you in terms of the noise that you hear, bass, treble, vocals, mids, soundstage, separation?

Probably vocals and separation.

Quote:

You have set a limit of $100 which is a bit low for 'best portable closed back headphones' You would need to have a budget of perhaps $200 to get this. and at this level, if bass is your thing I would recommend the Sennheiser HD380 pro with no hessitation, other than I am not sure if the iphone can drive it, I know my Zen Vision M can get them going OK at 23/25 on my output.

However, we can give you some advice on 'best budget $100 closed back headphones'

I'd prefer suggestions under $100, as that's my budget for now, but I'd still be interested in suggestions under $200 for a future purchase.

Quote:

Get back with some answers and peeps can give you some recommendations within your taste and budget.

Cheers

Varkie

Thanks.

Jan 24, 2010 at 5:30 PM Post #4 of 9
Not sure they are portable but the ATH M50 would be a possible choice. They arent really that portable but they do fold up and they can be driven by a portable player without an amp. They seem to have a great rep and I loved the sound but I only heard them at a local guitar shop for a short period. I loved them so much I have a pair coming to me this Wednesday. You can get them by making an offer on ebay to proaudiomart for $90. They have accepted that price for several headfiers now. They are a fantastic steal at that price.

Jan 24, 2010 at 6:11 PM Post #5 of 9
Ok, thanks for getting back to us.

Sennheiser make a selection of closed back phones, some are circumaural and some are supraaural. Most closed back phones give a reduced sound field with the musicians seeming tight in at your head, sadly this is what closed phones do.

HD280 pro 60 ohm, circumaural we have two pairs and they are both used for traveling on planes and buses. They can be driven by a Zune and and Zen Vision M to acceptable listening levels. They do fold in and they are quite robust, made in Ireland and have the 2 year warranty. Shop around online and you should get close to $100. They are big. One of our pairs had had daily usage for 4 years and still good. I have found them for $90 online which is about 1/2 original retail price. Son #2 uses them for drum pratice and monitoring applications at college as well as travel (studying to be a sound engineer)

HD25 SP II, these are the cheaper versions of the HD25, they are build for sound technicians and will last well. Supra aural but good sized cups and a single piece plastic headband. Cost about $120 if you shop around. They are like the grown up brother of the HD202 listed bellow. They should last years. I am not sure how easy they are to drive with an ipohone. They look good

Simlar sound to HD280 pro in a cheaper headshell and a bit eaiser to drive, sound quite good circumaural, HD201. Comfy to wear and good sound for pound. made in PRC 1 yr warranty, not as robust build quality but lighter on the head and not as much clamping force on the head sides. Dont block out noise as well at the HD280 pro but a sweet deal for under $40 , might eben get them under $30 if you look hard enough. Edit now at $18 on amazon !!!

HD202, a different design using a one piece plastic molded headband and supraaural cups. 1 yr warranty. Quite robust and can be had for $40 ish. No good for big heads and big ears. They do cause some fatigue through clamping the ears down...for me...but look a t my avatar, I chose this cartoon for a reason..
wink.gif

PX200, smaller still, folding and slight clamping force, let even more sound in as they are smaller cups but they are comfy and very neat. under $50. Small and neat.

Have a read of the reviews on the net and ask on here.

I can offer personal expeince only of these cans listed.

Jan 24, 2010 at 9:29 PM Post #6 of 9
Aardvarks, do you know anything about the hd 380? I'm also looking for closed headphones, and was considering the hd 280 pro, but I read that the sound was not as lively with them?

I don't care much about bass, i prefer more warm and real sound, any input would be appreciated!

Jan 24, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by GulFX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Aardvarks, do you know anything about the hd 380? I'm also looking for closed headphones, and was considering the hd 280 pro, but I read that the sound was not as lively with them?

I don't care much about bass, i prefer more warm and real sound, any input would be appreciated!

Thanks for asking, I auditioned a demo pair last month.

The 380 pro are built on the same shell as the top of the range noise cancellers the pxc450 and fold the same way. They have a big circumaural cup and for me just a fraction less pressure on the side of the head.

Now sound

The 280pro feel bit recessed with a small and controlled sound stage. Much less liley than my Grado SR60s but very balanced and easy to listen to on an 8 hour flight

The 380 pro have a bigger bigger feel altogether with a wider soundstage....but beware I was not ready for the level of bass. Vocals are more forwards to my ears than the 280 pro but the bass....is massive. I was having to urn the volume down in order to let it all settle down. I have not had this level of bass from any cans that we own including the DT990 pro.

I was driving them with just a Zen Vision M and running at 22/25 gain.

Edit, I did have a head cold at the time with some sinus blockages and this will hae had some effect on the way that I percieved the sound.

Jan 25, 2010 at 6:54 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aardvarks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD280 pro 60 ohm, circumaural we have two pairs and they are both used for traveling on planes and buses. They can be driven by a Zune and and Zen Vision M to acceptable listening levels. They do fold in and they are quite robust, made in Ireland and have the 2 year warranty. Shop around online and you should get close to $100. They are big. One of our pairs had had daily usage for 4 years and still good. I have found them for $90 online which is about 1/2 original retail price. Son #2 uses them for drum pratice and monitoring applications at college as well as travel (studying to be a sound engineer)

Simlar sound to HD280 pro in a cheaper headshell and a bit eaiser to drive, sound quite good circumaural, HD201. Comfy to wear and good sound for pound. made in PRC 1 yr warranty, not as robust build quality but lighter on the head and not as much clamping force on the head sides. Dont block out noise as well at the HD280 pro but a sweet deal for under $40 , might eben get them under $30 if you look hard enough. Edit now at $18 on amazon !!!

Is there enough difference between the 201 and the 280 to justify the increase in price?

Jan 25, 2010 at 7:33 PM Post #9 of 9
Best portable closed 'phone = hd 25 1 very punchy,balanced,indestructible,dont need an amp,very light(140g)
Hd 25 sp is similar looking 'phone but dont share same drivers with hd 25 1 !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back