Looking for best over-ear/closed back headphones, under 150$
Jun 7, 2012 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Rainicorn

New Head-Fier
I have being doing lots of research on headphones. At the moment I have my choices narrowed down to:
Sony MDR-XB700s
Shure SR 840
Audio Technica ATH-M50s
Audio Technica ATH-A700
Ultrasone HFI-580s
Ultrasone HFI-780s
Incase sonic headphones

I don't care about looks at all. Comfort and portability I would prefer, but that won't effect my choice, only a bonus. I am looking for some headphones that have great, balanced audio, but with a bit more of an emphasis on the bass. I just don't want the bass to drown out the mids. The sony mrd-xb700s are my favourite at the moment, but some people say that the mids sound muddy. Most of the music i listen to is dance/dubstep (deadmau5) as well as indie (such as passion pit, grouplove and foster the people). If you guys could please help me narrow down my chioces even more that would be great :D or even tell me which of the 2 headphones made by the same brand are better.
~thanks

Jun 7, 2012 at 11:57 PM Post #2 of 6
From that list, all I've heard are the M50s and 840s.  I'd take the 840s in a heartbeat.  

I'm not sure I'd say that they emphasize the bass at all, but I find them to be well balanced and an excellent headphone for the price.  The M50s, on the other hand, I wasn't impressed with at all.

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:02 AM Post #3 of 6

From that list, all I've heard are the M50s and 840s.  I'd take the 840s in a heartbeat.  

I'm not sure I'd say that they emphasize the bass at all, but I find them to be well balanced and an excellent headphone for the price.  The M50s, on the other hand, I wasn't impressed with at all.

Why are the 840s better? why didn't you like the m50s?

Jun 8, 2012 at 12:07 AM Post #4 of 6
Well right now until mid it sound professionals are having a sale where you get the ath m50s for about $110 shipped. I just bogu them as well. From what I've heard they are supposed to be very good.

Jun 8, 2012 at 1:44 AM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Why are the 840s better? why didn't you like the m50s?

I feel that the 840s are more balanced.  The mids on the m50s felt a tad recessed and the bass/treble don't feel quite right to me.  Overall, they left me with a muddled impression.

I found the 840s to be more balanced across the entire spectrum and with a bit more clarity to the sound.

Just my opinion, of course.  I know the M50s have their share of followers.

Oct 8, 2012 at 5:01 AM Post #6 of 6
I'm in the same boat as Rainicorn. I have some AKG K271 MKII's that I've had for a while but am not satisfied with the bass. I'm planning on selling them to finance a new pair. Price range and music choice/use are the same as Rainicorn. I was wondering if there was any news on new products as about a year a ago my other option was the Beyerdynamic DT770 80 ohm un-amped. But I have a feeling that's a bit surpassed a year later. And I'm not ready to drop $180 on some cans just yet anyway. Any suggestions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back