Looking for best "isolating" closed headphone.
Jan 23, 2016 at 3:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pompom

New Head-Fier
Hello, 

I have a few "open" full-size headphones (HD-800 & DHARMA) that I like a lot, but now I am looking for the best possible closed headphone for the evening when I need to listen without disturbing my Wife (or hearing her TV :)

I tried the LCD-XC, but it was definitively too heavy for me to be able to use it for more than 30 minutes ...

any advice will be appreciated

Jan 24, 2016 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 9
I have not heard fostexes myself but I've red those leak sound alot. I have jvc dx1000 and beyrdynamic t5p. Both fine headphones with decent isolation. Dx1000 might sound too dark coming from hd800 and t5p has some quality control issues...new version of t5p is coming soon so maybe that is also something to consider?

I have not heard the following headphones but you might want to find info about these:

mcintosh mhp1000
alpha prime
ether c
kennerton magister (if these are anything like fa-003 isolation will be great)

Jan 24, 2016 at 3:26 PM Post #6 of 9
That is a shame the LCD-XC were too heavy for you, I'm lucky and they feel fine to me.  You should give the EL-8 closed a try, they are a bit lighter but I thought they fit a whole lot better.  

Jan 24, 2016 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 9
Since you didn't give I price, I'll just list a whole bunch of closed-back high end headphones.
Mcintosh MHP1000, Sennheiser HD630VB, Audio Technica ATH-W5000, AKG N90Q, Beyerdynamic T70, Audeze EL-8, Final Audio Sonorous X.

I hope this helps,
Nemo

Jan 31, 2016 at 6:28 AM Post #8 of 9
  Since you didn't give I price, I'll just list a whole bunch of closed-back high end headphones.
Mcintosh MHP1000, Sennheiser HD630VB, Audio Technica ATH-W5000, AKG N90Q, Beyerdynamic T70, Audeze EL-8, Final Audio Sonorous X.

I hope this helps,
Nemo

Thanks.  At least i will try to listen to the Mcintosh MHP1000

Sep 11, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #9 of 9
Hello, 

I have a few "open" full-size headphones (HD-800 & DHARMA) that I like a lot, but now I am looking for the best possible closed headphone for the evening when I need to listen without disturbing my Wife (or hearing her TV :)

I tried the LCD-XC, but it was definitively too heavy for me to be able to use it for more than 30 minutes ...

any advice will be appreciated
How do you like your dharma compared to your hd800, pom ?

As for the bigger topic, as I read this thread, I was Wondering if these are any other opinions out there, regarding this same unicorn. A really great sounding phone which is closed and extremely isolating and capable of big volumes coming out of my Rane 64.

I currently use Beyerdynamic T90, AKG K812, for all open back listening, and a SONY MDR-V6 for closed back use.

I'm wondering if there is any notable isolation from the AKG K872, or what other bright, high/mid-heavy headphone would have the best isolation in the market right now? As well as the flattest frequency response....

Thanks headfi !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back