Looking for best IEM under $100
Jun 28, 2013 at 8:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

ktmkid21

New Head-Fier
Hi! I am looking for a new set of iems. I listen to a lot of hip hop/rap but also other genres such as rock, pop, r&b, ect.I would like something that has good punchy bass but is not overwhelming considering I am not a bass head. I would like something that is really clear and somewhat neutral but not lacking in bass either. Also comfortability and durability is important since I occasionally wear in ears for several hours straight.A in-line mic and controls would be a nice addition but is not a deal breaker. Like I said I only have $100 to spend.

I have narrowed it down to several possibilities:

1. VSonic Gr06

2. Audio Technica ATH-CMK500

3. JVC Victor HA-FXT90

4. Shure SE215

5. Monster Turbine Pearl

6. Hifi Man RE-400.

Please let me know what you think is the best for my needs and if you have any other suggestions!
Thanks!

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:
Hi! I am looking for a new set of iems. I listen to a lot of hip hop/rap but also other genres such as rock, pop, r&b, ect.I would like something that has good punchy bass but is not overwhelming considering I am not a bass head. I would like something that is really clear and somewhat neutral but not lacking in bass either. Also comfortability and durability is important since I occasionally wear in ears for several hours straight.A in-line mic and controls would be a nice addition but is not a deal breaker. Like I said I only have $100 to spend.

I have narrowed it down to several possibilities:

1. VSonic Gr06

2. Audio Technica ATH-CMK500

3. JVC Victor HA-FXT90

4. Shure SE215

5. Monster Turbine Pearl

6. Hifi Man RE-400.

Please let me know what you think is the best for my needs and if you have any other suggestions!
Thanks!

Clarity and neutrality with punchy bass sounds like RE-400. Best clarity and neutrality out of the iems you've mentioned.

Jul 1, 2013 at 3:56 PM Post #4 of 21
I enjoy listening to them.   Neutral can be fun, eh?    For me, it's fun to listen to an IEM that attempts to accurately reproduce what the audio engineers and producers intended.

Jul 1, 2013 at 4:37 PM Post #5 of 21
I'd consider the Nuforce NE-700M for 75 bucks.  I have more expensive Shure and UE iems, but I keep going back to the Nuforce because they play everything well.  Check out the various reviews on Amazon.

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:25 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:
I enjoy listening to them.   Neutral can be fun, eh?    For me, it's fun to listen to an IEM that attempts to accurately reproduce what the audio engineers and producers intended.

My only gripe about these is that there is reportedly bothersome cable noise in the cable down configuration. What do you think?

Jul 1, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:
My only gripe about these is that there is reportedly bothersome cable noise in the cable down configuration. What do you think?

I always go cable up because for some odd reason, I get a better seal that way,  and being that the upper cables are so thin, it's not bothersome at all to wear them up and I wear glasses all day.   I never wore them down so I can't confirm one way or the other in regards to cable noise.

Jul 2, 2013 at 10:21 AM Post #11 of 21
Quote:
for a neutral IEM like RE-400, the lack of bass quantity can be less exciting for genres like hiphop or rock

But look at that FR graph.  The bass is flat all the way down, so is there really a lack of bass quantity?    Maybe a more accurate statement would be, "the lack of a bass exaggeration can be less exciting for genres like hiphop or rock."   I don't find that to be so though simply because when the track calls for bass, it's there in the quantity that the track calls for.

It's just that I've heard many say that the RE-400's are bass shy, but according to the specs, it sure doesn't look that way, unless of course, you compare them to IEM's that have a pumped up bass or a suppressed mid-range.

Jul 2, 2013 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

But look at that FR graph.  The bass is flat all the way down, so is there really a lack of bass quantity?    Maybe a more accurate statement would be, "the lack of a bass exaggeration can be less exciting for genres like hiphop or rock."   I don't find that to be so though simply because when the track calls for bass, it's there in the quantity that the track calls for.

It's just that I've heard many say that the RE-400's are bass shy, but according to the specs, it sure doesn't look that way, unless of course, you compare them to IEM's that have a pumped up bass or a suppressed mid-range.

but does it have enough bass to play hip hop without a problem because I listen to a lot of it, and I need bass.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:07 PM Post #14 of 21
Quote:
Adequate bass. It's very punchy and tight, but it won't be like head shaking bass like beats.

Man, I just put some TS-400 tips on mine.   The holes are bigger than the large stock bi-flanges and the housing sits deeper in the tip than the stock tips as well, along with allowing for a deeper insertion.    What it did was to really open up the bottom end and when the track calls for it, I can definitely get head shaking bass.    Powerful, low, low bass without being bloated or boomy and...........no bleed into the lower mids.  For a 100 bucks...............simply amazing.   Hell, I'd say they were simply amazing at three times that price.

Oh, and no attenuated upper mids and highs that I got with the T-400's and the Sony Hybrids.

Tip selection with these are really important.

Jul 2, 2013 at 8:45 PM Post #15 of 21
Quote:

Man, I just put some TS-400 tips on mine.   The holes are bigger than the large stock bi-flanges and the housing sits deeper in the tip than the stock tips as well, along with allowing for a deeper insertion.    What it did was to really open up the bottom end and when the track calls for it, I can definitely get head shaking bass.    Powerful, low, low bass without being bloated or boomy and...........no bleed into the lower mids.  For a 100 bucks...............simply amazing.   Hell, I'd say they were simply amazing at three times that price.

Oh, and no attenuated upper mids and highs that I got with the T-400's and the Sony Hybrids.

Tip selection with these are really important.

Lol. Now I want to get the RE-400. I really liked them when I demoed them. I'm tempted to go down to the audiostore(very close to my house) and just buy one. But at the same time, I want W4 as well. Damn. I bought the H-200 less than a month ago...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back