Looking for Best Headphones in the 100-200$ range
Apr 20, 2009 at 2:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

aporcelainsky

New Head-Fier
I mostly listen to indie-rock, electronica, acoustic and other alternative types of music and am looking for a good set of headphones. Here are the requirements:

Do not require an amp (but may/may not sound better with an amp; as I may invest in one later down the road).
Sound isolation is fairly important as these will be both at home and portable headphones.
Appearance does also play a role since I'll be using them frequently outside of the house.
It'd be great if they weren't super bulky but full size is fine.

Used is not an issue. My price range is fairly loose as I'm looking for a good solid investment; so let's say 100-200$ (but I definitely can't justify spending more than 200$). Let me hear your thoughts!

Apr 20, 2009 at 12:01 PM Post #2 of 18
May 9, 2009 at 3:25 AM Post #8 of 18
Fantastic. Listening to them right now.
smily_headphones1.gif

They're pretty balanced. Instrument Separation is probably their strong suit. Mids are their best part as far as SQ goes but the bass is clean with good impact and the highs are very detailed without being fatiguing. Very comfortable and good isolation with the Comply's but I don't think the small ones are the best option. Big ones are my favorite but a bit too long for my ears. I'm using modded tri flanges right now (bi flanges now)

I like the cable too, very light and seems durable but it's my first Westone so we'll see. Burning in my IE8's again right now because I had to get a new pair. They're really nice too.

No matter how big a collection is, it's always nice to hear different stuff
smily_headphones1.gif

May 9, 2009 at 3:31 AM Post #10 of 18
x2 Senn HD25-1 II, if isolation is an important factor as well as portability then look no further. Also one of the most durable sets around, sound really nice straight-away, although they scale quite nicely with a good cable upgrade. Impact & SPL champs they are & the best portable alternative to IEMs IMO. Good Luck.

Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

May 9, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #12 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Headphile808 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2 Senn HD25-1 II, if isolation is an important factor as well as portability then look no further. Also one of the most durable sets around, sound really nice straight-away, although they scale quite nicely with a good cable upgrade. Impact & SPL champs they are & the best portable alternative to IEMs IMO. Good Luck.

Aloha
atsmile.gif

Headphile808

x3, totaly agree pickup a pair of HD-25's at the start of the week, loving them very much, quite surprised how good they sound straight out of my iPod ... excellent isolation especially good since i can't stand IEM's
might look at changing cable, but sooo many choices

May 9, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by aporcelainsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I already purchased a set of custom 3s but I may actually pick up a pair of the hd-25s as well. so they don't need an amp to sound good with an ipod?

there is a whole thread http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/hd2...thread-163153/ ,easy headphones to drive ...

i tried them through the cMOY that i have, and in my opinion they sound about the same, maybe a little something else there ... sorry i lack the words or headphone listerning time really say much, but the above thread seems to really push them

Users who are viewing this thread

Back