Looking for best fast metal headphone in sub $150 range
Oct 24, 2009 at 12:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FLACm0nkEy

100+ Head-Fier
I like listening to the fast stuff, and most of headphones I've tried don't produce it very well.
Think Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Dragonforce...
I'm all ears for suggestions
L3000.gif

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:15 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by FLACm0nkEy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like listening to the fast stuff, and most of headphones I've tried don't produce it very well.
Think Megadeth, Iron Maiden, Metallica, Dragonforce...
I'm all ears for suggestions
L3000.gif

Your solution is simple: Grado SR125i headphones...retail for $150 new. You might want to try the SR225i on the For Sale Forum. They are my favourite in the Grado Prestige Series and you should get them for $150 or less used.

Grado cans CANNOT be beat when it comes to Rock and Metal! I absolutely love them with Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell and Metallica!

Oct 24, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MacedonianHero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Your solution is simple: Grado SR125i headphones...retail for $150 new. You might want to try the SR225i on the For Sale Forum. They are my favourite in the Grado Prestige Series and you should get them for $150 or less used.

Grado cans CANNOT be beat when it comes to Rock and Metal! I absolutely love them with Black Sabbath/Heaven and Hell and Metallica!

Hmm... I currently own Alessandro MS1, which is slightly different. I am not impressed at all. SR60 which I owned earlier were not as distant, but were light on the treble. I like somewhat subtle mids, however Grado is known for their in-your-face brought forward mids...
I suppose there will be time for more Grados, but I'm exploring other options at the moment. Thanks for suggestion though!

Oct 24, 2009 at 5:53 AM Post #6 of 8
Quote:

Hmm... I currently own Alessandro MS1, which is slightly different. I am not impressed at all. SR60 which I owned earlier were not as distant, but were light on the treble. I like somewhat subtle mids, however Grado is known for their in-your-face brought forward mids...
I suppose there will be time for more Grados, but I'm exploring other options at the moment. Thanks for suggestion though!

Dude I could not agree more, everyone always says Grados are the rock/metal king, I could not disagree more, I just sold my MS1's due to the fact that I too was not impressed at all. I feel my AD 700's do an alright job but the only thing I have to compare to are the MS1's I just sold and the RX-700's I have.

Oct 24, 2009 at 9:44 AM Post #7 of 8
Ultrasone HFI-780.
Although mine are recabled even the stock ones should have all the speed you need.

Oct 24, 2009 at 11:30 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Buy bowl pads to your SR60. Opens up the treble and tightens up the sound overall.
http://www.ttvj.com/index.php?main_p...bd87688ce60e9b
In old Grados all headphones from SR80 to RS1 had bowl pads. Only MS1 and SR60 had comfies which restrict the treble. You can try modding the stock comfy pads though. Cut a quarter sized hole in the middle. Opens up the treble slightly, though its still not as good sounding as bowl padded one.

Grados are IMHO one of the best headphones when it comes to Thrash and Death Metal. Atleast SR225 is awesome. Bass could use more fullness, but guitar reproduction is one of the best I have heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back