Looking for best Dac/amp for ultrasone edition 9
May 8, 2008 at 6:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Chefguru

Headphoneus Supremus
I don't really know that much about all the different dac+amps but from what I've been seeing for the most part they are designed with portability in mind...
I have virtually zero need for portability but just want a simple setup to work for my ultrasone edition 9's.
Suggestions would be great!

May 8, 2008 at 3:59 PM Post #3 of 7
How do you define "best"?
* Sound quality?
* Price?
* Sound quality to price ratio?
* Design?
* Build and part quality?
* Availability?
* Features?

In short. What are you looking for, and how much are you willing to pay?

May 8, 2008 at 4:44 PM Post #4 of 7
You can probably try the Benchmark DAC1.

May 8, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #5 of 7
I'm useing a Benchmark Dac1 usb with a maxed WA6 with my EDITION 9s and now that I have a little over 350 hrs burn in on the WOO, I'm loveing every bit of it. (don't forget that a 1955 MULLARD metal base GZ34 doesn't hurt) $$$$

May 9, 2008 at 7:09 AM Post #7 of 7
I was thinking a Headroom Ultra Micro DAC with Micro Amp might fit your price ($1,100) and other requirements. It should sound about the same as the HR Desktop amp (with Home amp module and MAX DAC), but will be $350 cheaper since you wont need the upgraded Desktop Power Supply. And you could upgrade the amp later while the Ultra DAC is already close to the DAC1 and Apogee mini-DAC level.

Right now my Micro DAC and Micro Amp via USB are sounding almost the same as a PICO, but it warms up nicely with the crossfeed on, and the optical from my laptop adds another small performance boost over the Pico. So, the Ultra Micro DAC should be even better.

Another option is the Apogee mini-DAC with firewire option (if your computer doesn't have optical or coax out), and it does a great job driving single ended or balanced headphones without an amp. It also responds very nicely to a better regulated power supply like my $89 Radio Shack laptop PSU, and even better to a more costly Sigma 11 PSU - so you can start off in budget and upgrade later.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back