Looking for best C/IEMs for strictly 90s Hip Hop
Aug 29, 2022 at 12:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

PoetOfTheKill

Head-Fier
Good day members of this Hi-Fi community,

I am on the hunt for the best recommended IEM for strictly 90s Hip Hop. I will take Rec's from both universal or if possible CIEM as i get tired of tip rolling but if the universal is that good im willing to compromise.

I do have the Sony Xba N3ap and while its great sounding i dont have good sealing so it can pop off often while commuting, maybe my ear canals are like missile silos.

My price range is up to $1,200 and im looking for a nice bassy, not overly warm but nice anolog sound to compliment albums such as Fugees "The Score" and Nas "illmatic" and most Hip Hop classics from 1992-1998.

I am a native New Yorker so i am looking for that grungy sound that makes me ears feel like their tasting the purity of a brick while doing business with a colombian cartel (Kool G Rap - The Giacana Story) vibes.

Once again, not looking for ear buds just the regular IEM molds unless you can rec a CIEM with these qualities.

Thank you all in advance.

Aug 30, 2022 at 12:20 AM Post #3 of 15
Aug 30, 2022 at 3:43 PM Post #4 of 15
My price range is up to $1,200 and im looking for a nice bassy, not overly warm but nice anolog sound to compliment albums such as Fugees "The Score" and Nas "illmatic" and most Hip Hop classics from 1992-1998.

May I suggest the venerable IER-Z1Rs? Probably one of the best bass of any IEM at any price point, very nice v-shape signature which will compliment any hip-hop genres quite well. I wouldn't describe it as analog, but I don't think you would be disappointed

The one glaring issue is comfort, Sony clearly didn't think things through when they ask people to jam large metal objects in their ears. It is for this reason that I'm looking to sell mine .. unfortunately I don't have the original box, but the asking price will certainly reflect this, let me know if you're interested.

Aug 30, 2022 at 5:50 PM Post #5 of 15
May I suggest the venerable IER-Z1Rs? Probably one of the best bass of any IEM at any price point, very nice v-shape signature which will compliment any hip-hop genres quite well. I wouldn't describe it as analog, but I don't think you would be disappointed

The one glaring issue is comfort, Sony clearly didn't think things through when they ask people to jam large metal objects in their ears. It is for this reason that I'm looking to sell mine .. unfortunately I don't have the original box, but the asking price will certainly reflect this, let me know if you're interested.
Unfortunately, i have tried them and the fit wasn't gonna work for me lol

Looked pretty and bass was definitely nice but i would struggle with it

Aug 30, 2022 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 15
Sep 11, 2022 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 15
Looks like i will be going with the Fatfreq maestro mini, goes great with my 90s hip hop collection and sound like im in a car bumping these joints heavy.

I wanna thank everyone who contributed their suggestions

Sep 14, 2022 at 12:25 PM Post #8 of 15
Looks like i will be going with the Fatfreq maestro mini, goes great with my 90s hip hop collection and sound like im in a car bumping these joints heavy.

I wanna thank everyone who contributed their suggestions
Always looking for iem that goes goid with 90 hip hop. How do these compare to sony ex8000st tape mod?

Sep 14, 2022 at 1:12 PM Post #9 of 15
Always looking for iem that goes goid with 90 hip hop. How do these compare to sony ex8000st tape mod?
I cant speak on the ex800st but the FF is not opened so no sound leaks. Vocals do take a step back but the bass is massive but well controlled and fun. Its small so easy fit for most.
They do require power but can be driven on phone but near max volume

Sep 14, 2022 at 2:07 PM Post #10 of 15
I cant speak on the ex800st but the FF is not opened so no sound leaks. Vocals do take a step back but the bass is massive but well controlled and fun. Its small so easy fit for most.
They do require power but can be driven on phone but near max volume
Can you compare them to any other basshead sets?

Sep 14, 2022 at 3:09 PM Post #11 of 15
Me personally i cannot, i once tried the thor mjolnir the first version and Fatfreq destroys it but i heard others compare it to the EE Legend X on the bass department and say its better because it doesnt mess up the mids and i can agree from what i hear. I honestly think it depends on music library but EDM and Hip Hop is a true headbanger.

Oct 11, 2022 at 7:52 PM Post #13 of 15
How are you liking the Fatfreq?
The bass slams like a tidal wave from poseidon himself, very good with my hip hop collection and also tried with my EDM. Lot of bass but very controlled, I also noticed vocals take a step back but with hip hop and EDM it's a livable trade off. Very very fun IEM it's a sure keeper for me.

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:22 PM Post #14 of 15
I would highly recommend the 64 Audio N8. They usually run $1600, but they will be going on sale for Black Friday for 15% off (It happens sitewide every year for custom and Universal). The sale price will be about $1350 and they are definitely worth it for that price if you can stretch your budget. You also might want to consider the Camfire Audio Equinox Custom IEM. They are effectively the Atlas in custom form and are quite good. If I remember correctly, they will be on sale for $1000-1100 on Black Friday as well. Both companies have the same sale prices throughout the year as well if you miss the sale.

Oct 11, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #15 of 15

Same boat, I LOVE the sound but oh my god the fit, Trying to trade mine for a pair of U12Ts currently, to no avail

Users who are viewing this thread

Back