Looking for beginner audiophile headphones. $250 MAX budget, preferably $200 or less.
Jul 30, 2013 at 9:13 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

NikoJohn

New Head-Fier
I am looking for good over-the-ear audiophile headphones for beginners. I want noise-isolation, to be able to connect to my phone and laptop (so 3.5 mm I assume), $250 (MAX) or less (preferably $200 or less), and something portable and durable as I am a college student who travels quite a bit from home to school on planes and the like (I realize that finding portable headphones with decent noise-isolation may be a slight challenge).

Also I would like the headphones to be geared toward metal music and R&B as those genres make up 95% of my library. I know that is a pretty drastic contrast, but I figured it is a tidbit of information worth throwing out there.

If anyone could give me recommendations or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

Jul 31, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #2 of 11
Get the beats mixr!!! Haha...just kidding. I'm sure you'll get a lot of great recommendations from the more senior members. With that said, if it were me, I'd probably go for the Sennheiser HD-25, Sennheiser Amperior or the Audio Technica ATH-M50. If I wanted good sound but fashion forward cans, I'd look at the V-Moda M80 (or M100). Just my 2 cents. Looking forward to what others recommend. :)

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:18 AM Post #3 of 11
Quote:
I am looking for good over-the-ear audiophile headphones for beginners. I want noise-isolation, to be able to connect to my phone and laptop (so 3.5 mm I assume), $250 (MAX) or less (preferably $200 or less), and something portable and durable as I am a college student who travels quite a bit from home to school on planes and the like (I realize that finding portable headphones with decent noise-isolation may be a slight challenge).

Also I would like the headphones to be geared toward metal music and R&B as those genres make up 95% of my library. I know that is a pretty drastic contrast, but I figured it is a tidbit of information worth throwing out there.

If anyone could give me recommendations or point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

Heya,

Logitech UE6000.

Very best,

Jul 31, 2013 at 11:07 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:

Heya,

Logitech UE6000.

Very best,

I have looked into this and it appears that while the reviews are saying it is a great pair of headphones, the noise-cancellation is not, with some users reporting white noise coming from one or both sides; can you confirm? And what do you think of the choices of the below user?
Quote:
Get the beats mixr!!! Haha...just kidding. I'm sure you'll get a lot of great recommendations from the more senior members. With that said, if it were me, I'd probably go for the Sennheiser HD-25, Sennheiser Amperior or the Audio Technica ATH-M50. If I wanted good sound but fashion forward cans, I'd look at the V-Moda M80 (or M100). Just my 2 cents. Looking forward to what others recommend.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have looked at the V-Moda M80 and M100. If I was going to get either it would be the M80 as it is $100 cheaper, but what is the difference? I will also look into the other choices.

Jul 31, 2013 at 4:00 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:

Heya,

Logitech UE6000.

Very best,

I have looked into this and it appears that while the reviews are saying it is a great pair of headphones, the noise-cancellation is not, with some users reporting white noise coming from one or both sides; can you confirm? And what do you think of the choices of the below user?
Quote:
Get the beats mixr!!! Haha...just kidding. I'm sure you'll get a lot of great recommendations from the more senior members. With that said, if it were me, I'd probably go for the Sennheiser HD-25, Sennheiser Amperior or the Audio Technica ATH-M50. If I wanted good sound but fashion forward cans, I'd look at the V-Moda M80 (or M100). Just my 2 cents. Looking forward to what others recommend.
smily_headphones1.gif

I have looked at the V-Moda M80 and M100. If I was going to get either it would be the M80 as it is $100 cheaper, but what is the difference? I will also look into the other choices.

The difference is in the drivers size. The M-100 would require more than a portable device to bring out it's best. The Logitech UE is a great set of cans. It reminds me to much of beats with its plasticky look. :)

Jul 31, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:
MalVeauX and Bilson know what they're talking about.

I bought the UE6000 based on their opinions/reviews.

+6000 for them.

Quote:

Heya,

Logitech UE6000.

Very best,

Quote:
The difference is in the drivers size. The M-100 would require more than a portable device to bring out it's best. The Logitech UE is a great set of cans. It reminds me to much of beats with its plasticky look.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well now I am torn. My gut was telling me to go with the Audio-Techinica ATH--M50, but after hearing everyone praise the UE 6000 I am torn.

Jul 31, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #9 of 11
Your best bet is to try them both for yourself and buy the one that sings to you. If your source for music is an ipod/iphone, upload some different genre of music in ALAC format and test them out. Ultimately, you're the one that has to like them. Everyone's hearing and taste is different. Good luck and enjoy whatever you decide to buy.

Aug 1, 2013 at 9:42 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:
Well now I am torn. My gut was telling me to go with the Audio-Techinica ATH--M50, but after hearing everyone praise the UE 6000 I am torn.

Guitar Center should have the M50s for demo and Best Buy should have the UE6ks on display.

Don't be torn.. it's a great thing to have options!!! your gut will let you know after you *hear* both for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back