Looking for bass headphones...
Apr 8, 2008 at 12:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Nihility

100+ Head-Fier
now, before you flame me, im not some kid addicted to rap wanting thump like crazy from his crappy skullcrushers, im looking for some cans that can give me a good thump (and feel it a decent amount over my current setup) while still staying relatively cheap (under 150) i was thinking grado SR80's

this is for use with an iPod and no current amp

i am currently using er-4P's which are amazing in every sense of the world except that i cannot feel any bass (the bass is perfectly accurate and sounds amazing... but sometimes i need that thump) plus i would like some open cans so i can have a decent idea if a plane explodes near me or something while jammin out.

i was wondering if the grados are worth the money for use as a bass-heavy music phone while using my er-4p's as every day super-accurate phones?

looks are sorta important, as i like how grados look, but comfort is a must. but please.. any input is appreciated
biggrin.gif

i was thinking some sens's casue i heard they're very good for bass-heavy music, but there are so many im lost in the ocean there.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:29 AM Post #2 of 12
The grado Sr series are really good with the tape mod for increased bass.. or even 414 pads will increase the bass. Flats are another option.

It isn't as punchy as other phones.. but i haven't tried that many other open headphones.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:35 AM Post #4 of 12
ya, looking to stay away from closed 'phones, im currently thinking sr80's with the 414 pads (need to look into that, those are the sens' pads right?)

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:36 AM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nihility /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ya, looking to stay away from closed 'phones, im currently thinking sr80's with the 414 pads (need to look into that, those are the sens' pads right?)

yes.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:38 AM Post #7 of 12
thing is, im wondering if they would be worth the money to have along side my current er-4P's, or would the bass not be enough of a difference?

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:50 AM Post #9 of 12
yes, not sure what your bass needs are, but im talking like Dutch Hardcore (which sounds like crap on my er-4's cause they have no punch behind them)

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:54 AM Post #10 of 12
You'requirement of no amp and price would lead me to believe your choice of grados due to their sensitivity is spot on!

I actually did like my RS-2s out of my shuffle for part of your requirement,IE. outboard ampless...

Good luck~

Apr 8, 2008 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 12
ya, would you guys suggest senn's over grados for bass-heavy music?

Apr 8, 2008 at 3:16 AM Post #12 of 12
did some more reasearch, how about (yes they're closed but im thinking that may be good at this point for the volume i like listening to bass)

Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO? its a bit up in the price range, but if i could find some for $150, i'd go for em' they look like what im looking for exactly, but will an ipod be enough to push them?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back