Looking for Bass Headphones to go along with my HD6XX.
Feb 28, 2019 at 1:11 PM Post #16 of 32
I was looking at the Darkvoice 336se, I have been interested in trying out a tube amp. Would that really give the bass a decent boost?
Tube amp is more just a guess, I'm just not 100% sure
With the Darkvoice 336SE (which I own) you can swap out tubes.

Feb 28, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #17 of 32
I'm going to throw out a surprising option here: the Monoprice Monolith M565.

I was thinking the same thing here! I recently picked up the M565s with that crazy deal they had a couple weeks ago and I am very surprised by these. They have some great planar bass and is very accurate and detailed like you mentioned. The only "mod" I did was a pad swap but with that I agree that just doing that makes all the difference!

I have these for this exact scenario OP of complimenting my 1990s and 6XXs.

Feb 28, 2019 at 9:20 PM Post #18 of 32
I was thinking the same thing here! I recently picked up the M565s with that crazy deal they had a couple weeks ago and I am very surprised by these. They have some great planar bass and is very accurate and detailed like you mentioned. The only "mod" I did was a pad swap but with that I agree that just doing that makes all the difference!

I have these for this exact scenario OP of complimenting my 1990s and 6XXs.
Don't tell anyone you only paid $80, it will just bum them out.

Mar 1, 2019 at 7:08 AM Post #20 of 32
Thank you all for so much information, I am still sorting through things and I spoke to a local shop that has DT770, DT990 Pro (supposed to have great bass for open back?) and V-Moda M100's that I can demo. I am hoping they let me hook them into my own source FiiO A3 (only portable amp I have) and my phone with Tidal.

After a lot of reading on the forum I am very interested in picking up a pair of M565, right now they are sitting at $200 I really wish I had known about them going for $80. Also what pads did you swap them with?
Amazon has 2...
First OR Second

I also feel a bit dumb, when I googled "Superlux HD660 plus leather pads" it came up as just a pair of pads and I thought they were a swap for my current ones, I did not realize you meant Superlux HD660's + Leather Pads. So I spent a bit of time last night reading up about those and they do seem to be a cheap alternative.

Mar 1, 2019 at 11:58 AM Post #21 of 32
I also feel a bit dumb, when I googled "Superlux HD660 plus leather pads" it came up as just a pair of pads and I thought they were a swap for my current ones, I did not realize you meant Superlux HD660's + Leather Pads. So I spent a bit of time last night reading up about those and they do seem to be a cheap alternative.

I have velour pads made for the DT770 on my HD330. What you'll need is any leather earpads made for the DT770. Some stretching required on first mounting (kind of how a tire is fitted over a wheel - you start at one section and work your way around).

Mar 1, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #22 of 32
"Also what pads did you swap them with?"

I had gotten recommended Monoprice's velour ones and just used some velcro strips to attach to the current velcro system on there. They really open everything up and are just an upgrade all around. They really should have just sold them with those to begin with as they are their own pads, haha.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2019 at 6:33 PM Post #23 of 32
Mar 1, 2019 at 8:02 PM Post #24 of 32
Thank you all again for the recommendations.
I was able to hit up Guitar Center to check out DT770's and V-Moda M100's and the guy opened up a pair and let me hook my FiiO A3 and phone to put on a few tracks, I am now the proud owner of M100's!
I have ordered the XL Pads from Amazon as they didnt have any at the store.

20190301_195854.jpg

Mar 1, 2019 at 9:06 PM Post #25 of 32
After a lot of reading on the forum I am very interested in picking up a pair of M565, right now they are sitting at $200 I really wish I had known about them going for $80. Also what pads did you swap them with?
Amazon has 2...
First OR Second

Don't feel too bad about missing out on the $80 deal, it literally only lasted for one day...I just happened to take a day off from work, and happened to be looking up a different set of headphones to recommend to another headfier and I saw they were on sale for a crazy low price...I ordered them and posted about it here in headfi and a handfull of other people bought some and within a few hours they were no longer on sale...it really was just super lucky.
They are on sale fairly often though, so I would keep an eye on them...the open box ones are usually around $150, which they are totally worth, btw.
As far as the pads, I happened to have some of the second ones you posted, HM5 Hybrids. I like those pads on them. Today I got in the mail the velour pads from Monoprice that come with their version of the HM5 ...in other words, another version of the HM5 pads, just in velour instead of hybrids. I like them so far, they seem to open up the sound stage a little bit. They are really soft and comfy, that's for sure.

Mar 1, 2019 at 10:20 PM Post #26 of 32
Thank you all again for the recommendations.
I was able to hit up Guitar Center to check out DT770's and V-Moda M100's and the guy opened up a pair and let me hook my FiiO A3 and phone to put on a few tracks, I am now the proud owner of M100's!
I have ordered the XL Pads from Amazon as they didnt have any at the store.

20190301_195854.jpg
I’m glad you like them as do I .They are not the greatest but Damn are they just fun.

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:32 PM Post #28 of 32
When I was looking for a more bass heavy headphone to go with my 6XX, I also went with the M100s. I actually use them more than my 6XX now, so I'm happy I got them. Although I'm considering "upgrading" now (maybe something from Fostex), I'm still going to keep my M100s. They're built really well and super portable because of their size. I didn't realize how small they were until they arrived!

Mar 2, 2019 at 3:39 PM Post #29 of 32
I was worried about their size as well when I saw them online and then in the store, however they do cover my ears and I was impressed. I am waiting on the XL pads though after a few hours last night and today they do hurt my ears a bit, so did the 6XX's at first though. I have a pair of HD598's for gaming and I just got so used to how amazing they felt, I really wish they sounded better for music as they are easily the comfiest headphones I have ever worn.

Mar 2, 2019 at 9:13 PM Post #30 of 32
I ordered the XL pads like a day or two after getting the M100s. I tried to give the stock pads a chance, but they hurt my ears and I couldn't wear them for very long. The XL pads do help and now I can wear them for hours. The 6XX feel the best to me, but I don't really have a lot of experience with many different headphones. Hopefully the XL pads arrive quickly for you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back