Looking for bass <$50
Apr 3, 2009 at 12:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Freddie_shreddie

New Head-Fier
I've been reading a lot on here and i see a lot of bose bashers . I have the bose in-ear things. They sound ok but fall out every 10 seconds. i listen to mostly rap with some metal so bass is important but it can't be muddy. Is there a canal-phone that will sound better than the bose?

Thanks
Fred

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #2 of 11
Quote:

Is there a canal-phone that will sound better than the bose?

yeah, tons.
in this price range, re2 is popular, so is the ne7m.
for earbuds, PK3s are great.

Apr 3, 2009 at 1:12 AM Post #3 of 11
PK3 would be an obvious choice for Buds, and since Bose IEM is more or less like a bud in a sense that it sits outside of our ear, you'll most likely feel more comfortable with it.

As for true IEM's, JVC marshmallows are cheap and will give you tons of bass. Kramer mod reduces the muddiness a bit if you are concerned with that.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:32 AM Post #4 of 11
I own bothe Bose and NE-7M buds/IEM's and the NE's have about 70% of the bass of the Bose but they are way tighter and faster. they also have great treble and at least as good a midrange. I now only use my Bose in bed beause they are very comfortable and the sleep music I listen to is intesnsified by the added bass and I don't care if they fall out"

I would go with NE-7M but if you really want the same Bass as the Bose in an IEM you will alot more than $50 it will be more like $200-250 or more.

another option you might want to consider are the Cresyn CS-HP600 which are foldable portable closed earphone. They have slightly more bass than the Bose as good a midrange and way better treble. They are tighter and have a huge soundstage with width and depth and are very affordable if you shop around ($35 at Walmart in Canada). the only thing is they are definitely NOT a BUD or IEM LOL.

Apr 3, 2009 at 2:50 AM Post #5 of 11
NE7M

Apr 3, 2009 at 3:43 AM Post #6 of 11
NE-7M. I owned the air cushions (pre-Head-fi so I did not know about the kramer mod) and their highs are quite harsh, they are rather sibilant. Their bass is too much, too boomy, which is exactly what you don't want for metal (my only genre
biggrin.gif
). If you don't want earbuds, then the NE-7M is by far the best option for the price.

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:00 AM Post #8 of 11
If you have an Amazon.com account, I'd recommend the Sony MDR-EX85LP. I have the more expensive version (MDR-EX90LP) but since the MDR-EX85LP uses the same size 13.5 mm dynamic driver, the result in strong, but very clear bass that is not boomy.
smile_phones.gif

The current retail price on Amazon.com is US$45 for the MDR-EX85LP.

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by K_19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
PK3 would be an obvious choice for Buds, and since Bose IEM is more or less like a bud in a sense that it sits outside of our ear, you'll most likely feel more comfortable with it.

As for true IEM's, JVC marshmallows are cheap and will give you tons of bass. Kramer mod reduces the muddiness a bit if you are concerned with that.

biggrin.gif

Apr 4, 2009 at 3:35 AM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by dweaver /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own bothe Bose and NE-7M buds/IEM's and the NE's have about 70% of the bass of the Bose but they are way tighter and faster. they also have great treble and at least as good a midrange. I now only use my Bose in bed beause they are very comfortable and the sleep music I listen to is intesnsified by the added bass and I don't care if they fall out"

I would go with NE-7M but if you really want the same Bass as the Bose in an IEM you will alot more than $50 it will be more like $200-250 or more.

another option you might want to consider are the Cresyn CS-HP600 which are foldable portable closed earphone. They have slightly more bass than the Bose as good a midrange and way better treble. They are tighter and have a huge soundstage with width and depth and are very affordable if you shop around ($35 at Walmart in Canada). the only thing is they are definitely NOT a BUD or IEM LOL.

Really?
Any other opinions?
I don't find the bose to be that bassy. I once retrofitted some earpieces from skullcandy earbuds to make the bose more of a canal phone. they sealed completely and the bass was crazy (with rap) with metal they were terrible couldn't hear anything. I was thinking that a canal-phone would produce better bass because of the seal.

I was hoping to change to a canal-phone with better sound without loosing any bass.

I guess i could expand my budget.

What are your thoughts on Ultimate ears super fi 5 Pro/EB

Apr 4, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by Freddie_shreddie /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really?
Any other opinions?
I don't find the bose to be that bassy. I once retrofitted some earpieces from skullcandy earbuds to make the bose more of a canal phone. they sealed completely and the bass was crazy (with rap) with metal they were terrible couldn't hear anything. I was thinking that a canal-phone would produce better bass because of the seal.

I was hoping to change to a canal-phone with better sound without loosing any bass.

I guess i could expand my budget.

What are your thoughts on Ultimate ears super fi 5 Pro/EB

I actually love the EBs, they are great sounding IEMs. They are extremely underrated and if you love bass, they are probably one of the better ones. It is the only hybrid that I know, with two one BA for treble and one dynamic driver for the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back