Looking for Bang-for-Buck IEMs
May 9, 2006 at 9:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 35

dhaven

Banned
Currently I have a pair of Grado SR-125s with a PA2V2 and a 60Gb iPod 5G, but I'm now looking for a pair of IEMs that I can use with the iPod alone (read: unamped) during my morning commutes. I'm probably looking for something for 175$ Canadian BEFORE tax. It's mostly because I need something that won't leak sound and that are much more discreet than what I have. I've tried the Sony MDR-EX71s as a quick fix, but even on a noisy bus I find they don't live up to my expectation.

A couple that I've considered are the Shure E2c, Shure E3c, and the Super.Fi 5.

May 9, 2006 at 9:43 PM Post #2 of 35
I just got the er6i, and use it unamped. Sounds good to me. Detailed, and the bass is not as bad as people say. It also provides pretty good isolation.
Good luck

May 9, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #3 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerome G
I just got the er6i, and use it unamped. Sounds good to me. Detailed, and the bass is not as bad as people say. It also provides pretty good isolation.
Good luck

Hmm.. I never considered Etymotics. Always thought they'd cost more than 100$! Thanks for the tip... anyone know how they compare to the E4c or EX71? Those are the only others that I have heard for myself (under ideal conditions).

The 100$ price tag should also allow me an upgrade to a ZV:M... should I decide so.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2006 at 9:52 PM Post #4 of 35
Welcome to Head-Fi.

Depends on what you are looking for, I'd recommend the Etymotic ER6i's. They are very detailed and clear and sound perfect without an amp. They're also pretty small as well, so very portable. Seeing as how you have a PA2V2, it should enhance the bass on the ER6i's that many people complain about (which I myself never had a problem with). Unfortunately, I can't give you my personal experience of the ER6i's + PA2V2, they were sold before I got the amp...but many Head-Fi'ers have said that they also make a good combo.

Though i haven't tried them myself, many people recommend the Super Fi 5 for bass lovers. So if you are one of these, you may want to consider this option instead.

As for Shure, i've only tried the E4c's briefly and found them to sound quite identical to the ER6i's (headrooms chart should show similarities to that) despite it's high price point. A friend of mine had the E3's and said he wasn't too impressed with the Shure sound, we sorta got similar taste so I agree with him on that. We agreed that the Shure sound wasn't as detailed as what Etymotic provides.

edit: I just noticed you asked for a price on Etymotics.
You can either get them for $150US new, which would probably eat your $175CDN budget exactly. Or (seeing as how it's Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
) you can get them used for $80-$100 CDN. Spending the rest of the money on new eartips (you don't want used *eww*)

May 9, 2006 at 9:58 PM Post #5 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by EscaBoi
edit: I just noticed you asked for a price on Etymotics.
You can either get them for $150US new, which would probably eat your $175CDN budget exactly. Or (seeing as how it's Head-Fi
biggrin.gif
) you can get them used for $80-$100 CDN. Spending the rest of the money on new eartips (you don't want used *eww*)

You'd think there should be a huge difference between the E4c and the ER6i by looking at their prices, but looking at some reviews I suppose thats not the case, eh? Used sounds like a good option... but does anyone know a CANADIAN retailer? I don't feel up to dealing with the CBSA today.

What types of payment do people on Head-Fi usually take? If I sell my iPod on here, I'd have PayPal, but that would leave me DAP-less for a while.
frown.gif
Otherwise.. do most people take COD or something like that?

EDIT: Just to note my preferences... I do like a bit more pronounced bass, but not to the point that the bass becomes bloated.

May 9, 2006 at 10:10 PM Post #6 of 35
You can actually find the ER6is online for about 90 shipped. But I recommend the Altec Lansing iM617s. I don't have experience, but I've heard from many sources that they compare to the ER4Ps, and that they sound better than the ER6is. You can find them at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=172282) for $80 right now, with free shipping. You should definitely look into it.

May 9, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #7 of 35
Cool. I just Froogle'd them. Anyone know a Canadian retailer, though? I know Tom Lee sells them, but they're way over priced (E4c's for 300$? No thanks.).

Oh, and by the way... is the only difference between the ER6 and ER6i the number of flanges? If so the ER6 might be MORE comfortable for me.

May 9, 2006 at 10:17 PM Post #8 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by dhaven
Cool. I just Froogle'd them. Anyone know a Canadian retailer, though? I know Tom Lee sells them, but they're way over priced (E4c's for 300$? No thanks.).

Oh, and by the way... is the only difference between the ER6 and ER6i the number of flanges? If so the ER6 might be MORE comfortable for me.

can't help you with the Canadian retailer, not sure of one.
Not sure if Amazon even ships to Canada as well.

there's suppose to be a sound difference between the ER6 and ER6i. The ER6i's are the new model...it's posted somewhere on this forum the difference between them.

As for the flanges, you can get either the bi/tri-flanges with either one, the difference between the two is not the flanges. It's sound difference.

May 9, 2006 at 10:18 PM Post #9 of 35
Quote:

What types of payment do people on Head-Fi usually take? If I sell my iPod on here, I'd have PayPal, but that would leave me DAP-less for a while.
frown.gif
Otherwise.. do most people take COD or something like that?

Oh man don't sell your iPod to fund an IEM purchase
iPod's bang for buck out outshine any IEM

May 9, 2006 at 10:20 PM Post #10 of 35
Quote:

The ER6is are the newer version of the ER6s. The SQ is supposedly much better, and if you like the bi-flanges instead, I've heard that cutting off the top flange of the tri-flange works perfectly.

May 9, 2006 at 10:21 PM Post #11 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Oh man don't sell your iPod to fund an IEM purchase
iPod's bang for buck out outshine any IEM

Nono, you got me wrong. I have some birthday money on hand, and I want to upgrade my iPod. Therefore, I have two options:

1.) Buy a pair of Grado SR-225s to upgrade from my SR-125s (sell the 125s).
2.) Sell iPod, buy Zen Vision:M AND a pair of IEMs, keep SR-125s.

Also looked up the deal on ER6 vs. ER6i. For a 20$ price difference, I'd definitely go with the ER6i.

May 9, 2006 at 10:26 PM Post #12 of 35
Quote:

Nono, you got me wrong. I have some birthday money on hand, and I want to upgrade my iPod. Therefore, I have two options:

1.) Buy a pair of Grado SR-225s to upgrade from my SR-125s (sell the 125s).
2.) Sell iPod, buy Zen Vision:M AND a pair of IEMs, keep SR-125s.

Also looked up the deal on ER6 vs. ER6i. For a 20$ price difference, I'd definitely go with the ER6i.

Ok I get it now
icon10.gif

I'm going to give you this heads-up: IEMs have horrible bang for the buck. As long as you're not looking for an "upgrade" over the 125s you're fine

May 9, 2006 at 10:27 PM Post #13 of 35
I just purchased the Altec Lansing / Etymotic IM716's from Amazon.com for $49 incl shipping. They sound terrific on my NW-e507 and offer excellent isolation. I considered the ety er6i' and Shure lines, but the IM716's have gotten some better reviews at head-fi.com and the Shure's are too pricey for me at this time. Enter the Altec's...
I've been using the tri-flange's and have yet to try the supplied foamies. I'll get to them. The $49 includes a $30 discount if you pay with the Amazon Visa card offering a few months of no interest!! I learned about the deal and the quality of the IM716 in various forums here at this site..very informative, and actually more info than I needed. Worth every penny and more. Good luck!

May 9, 2006 at 10:28 PM Post #14 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by PeeeMeS
Ok I get it now
icon10.gif

I'm going to give you this heads-up: IEMs have horrible bang for the buck. As long as you're not looking for an "upgrade" over the 125s you're fine

Yeah, it's just I've recently had to give up my car so I'll be commuting by bus now. Somehow the idea of taking the SR-125/225s and using them on the bus, then carrying them around all day doesn't really appeal to me. =)

EDIT: Any opinion on the Super.Fi 5 Pro's? It's stretch on my budget, but I hear they have morebass presence than the Shures and Etymotics. "Full and rich-sounding." Sounds like me.
biggrin.gif

May 9, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #15 of 35
Quote:

Yeah, it's just I've recently had to give up my car so I'll be commuting by bus now. Somehow the idea of taking the SR-125/225s and using them on the bus, then carrying them around all day doesn't really appeal to me. =)

Wait til you get deeper in this hobby
You'll be sporting the K1000s outside like me
k1000smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back