Looking for balanced IEMs, 100 GBP
Jul 18, 2011 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

theriel

New Head-Fier
Hi,
Having reviewed plenty of threads on this forum and looked at some of the recommendations I feel like I still need a bit of guidance...

I am looking for a new set of earphones (IEM) to be used with my Sansa on the way to work, in the gym etc.

What I am looking for:
->good sound isolation
->preferably balanced but analytical sound signature can be as well
->a bit of bass is ok but not too much (level of detail is much more important for me)
->replaceable cord would be a bonus

Budget: about 100GBP - naturally - less is better. Buying in the UK.

Looking at various threads I have mostly come across the following models being recommended: E6i, S4, RE0, AH-C710...

Thank you for your help!

Best regards,
Theriel

Jul 18, 2011 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 7
At that price range, and matching your description perfectly, you want to take a look at the Etymotic HF5 (or HF2/HF3 - they are sonically identical, the latter two feature a mic and iphone controls).

It can be easily found for under £100, has the best isolation of pretty much any IEM out there, and has one of the most analytical and detailed sound sig's of IEMs both in this price range, and above. They do not come with replaceable cabling, but there really aren't many in this price range that do - the only thing that springs to mind is the Shure SE215, but they are more expensive, and probably less suitable to your needs. 

Others to consider are the Phonak 012 Perfect Bass, and the Hifiman RE0 (ampcity.co.uk has these for the UK), but IMO, the HF5 is an absolute steal in this kind of price range. 

Jul 19, 2011 at 7:55 AM Post #4 of 7
Thank you for your replies and advice!

So, now we have:
-> Etymotic HF5
-> Hifiman RE0 / RE-Zero (which one is better?)
-> Brainwavz B2...

I don't really know much about Brainwavz but Etymotic seems to be the best choice here...

any further comments and help would be appreciated!

Hmmm... any advice if I were to look for something slightly warmer, yet still maintaining the high level of detail?

Jul 20, 2011 at 5:54 AM Post #7 of 7
OK, having read a few more reviews I have decided that I will go ultimately for either HF5 or RE0. I know that I will be buying comply foams / shure olives anyway, so the fit and comfort is of no relevance to me.

Having said that - which of these two would you recommend?

Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back