looking for audiophile sound with deep bass
Jan 21, 2011 at 3:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

vcjha

New Head-Fier
Alright so I have the pleasure of getting the headphones of my choice because my friend broke my $80 pair.  So there's my price range.  I referred to joker's LONG 134 IEM thread but then realized that his rating is based on as close as an headphone can get to actual sound, in other words, a relatively flat frequency.  Thing is I'd love to pick out a pair of headphones that is perfect on the lows, mids,and highs, with all the definitions an audiophile can throw at it, smoothness, warmth, good soundstage, etc. but with one condition: the bass is the most powerful, clean, and deep sound it can possibly be.  I absolutely cannot stand distortion, rumble, or tapping(I'm basing off the car stereo since I'm not experienced enough to detect musical errors in IEM's yet though I am trying my best to learn.  But rumbling to me is when the bass vibrates the roof, which I think is distortion at it's worst, and tapping is to me when the bass is so harsh it makes a pop sound, like someone in the trunk was tapping on my speakers.  Can anybody help me on this?  I know it was absolutely idiotic to ask for someone's opinion on the jaybird bluebuds, and I apologize.  But I really am looking forward to hearing music like an audiophile does with the added clean powerful bass I thoroughly enjoy provided someone helps me with advice.  So thanks to anyone who replies:)

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 10
Do you want headphones or IEM's? If you want IEM's you should honestly start with a pair of cheap IEM's like the nuforce ne-6's.  It doesn't seem like you know too much about sound in general so there's no point in suggesting a really expensive headphone if you just focus on bass response.  I had a friend that never used an IEM try a pair of nuforces and he was blown away by the quality.  Not to say they are the best but it's certainly a good place to start since they're more of a bass heavy IEM and only $40 or so.

Jan 21, 2011 at 4:17 AM Post #3 of 10
In the off chance you're looking for a headphone, I'd suggest researching the Sony XB700--it's quite a beast when it comes to bass, and fits in your pricerange. Some such as myself would describe it as boomy in comparison to some higher-end phones, but if you don't have the money to upgrade, then this might be your best best. Plus, you may not even find anything wrong with the bass at all. If you have a local Best Buy or Sony store, I'd suggest giving em a listen before buying.

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #4 of 10
Best Buy doesn't demo XB700s. They demo XB500s.

I vote XB700 as a starter. XB500 has more bass, but is muddier.

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:17 AM Post #5 of 10
IEM.  I'm not the bass junkie, not the idiot who wants bass and nothing else or the imbecile who who booms his music in the neighborhood and all they and hear is the pops in his trunk and the vibrating of his roof moreso.  I want to appreciate music the way it was meant to be heard as close as it can to real life, with absolutely perfect powerful punchy bass that sounds as clean and as clear as possible. 

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:21 AM Post #7 of 10
Then you are in the wrong section. This is the full-sized section. Gotta go to the portable section.

Jan 21, 2011 at 5:28 AM Post #9 of 10
Thanks for the reply.  But I will always only be interested in IEM's.  If I ever want to experience cans, I'll probably save alot of money, and lay it down on the sennheiser hd800's(I think that's the best full size headphone out there, though I could be wrong)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back