Looking for assistance for a desktop amp and over-the-ear headphone setup with a $350 budget.
Sep 8, 2015 at 12:25 AM Post #16 of 19
I'd strongly suggest the Pioneer HRM-7. It's less than $200 but has an awesome soundstage, better than anything else under $350: http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-HRM-7-Professional-Studio-Headphones/dp/B00TCV9I10/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441686024&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+hrm-7

For amp/DAC I'd suggest a Hifiman EF2A, which is about $160 :http://www.amazon.com/HIFIMAN-EF2A-USB-Headphone-Amplifier/dp/B004357WL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441685920&sr=8-1&keywords=hifiman+ef2a

You can read some of the opinions about it in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/751859/pioneer-hrm-7-studio-monitor-headphones-discussion

Here's a review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/pioneer-hrm-7-professional-studio-headphones/reviews/13865#comments-title

Sep 10, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #17 of 19
Never been a big Beyerdynamic fan myself, so I'll defer that to someone else. Speaking more broadly, I don't agree with the assertion that closed-back means some sort of horrible compromise on fidelity just to deal with "environmental factors" (e.g. not pissing off your roommates). Closed cans can sound majorly good, just like open cans can sound majorly good. There is no singular, linear, factor that determines whether or not a given pair of headphones sound good or bad (or have good or bad soundstaging, or imaging, or anything else). The PRO900, for example, have almost identical sound-staging to the PRO2900 (which are open) - both are very good at imaging and positional audio.

What do you mean by "how loud are they really"? Do you mean sound leakage? Honestly even with "fully open cans" (like Sony MDR-F1) there shouldn't be a concern about leakage unless your roommates are right on top of you (e.g. you share the same bed and want to listen while they're sleeping) - from another room or across a flat/house/etc it's not going to be a problem, especially if you listen at sane levels. With something that's not "fully open" like the K701 or HD 598 or what-have-you, it's even less of a consideration.

Yes, I do mean sound leakage, but your answer hit the nail on the head. Gonna hit up a local audio store and audition a few cans, and thanks again for all the help.

Sep 10, 2015 at 7:36 PM Post #18 of 19
What do you mean by "how loud are they really"? Do you mean sound leakage? Honestly even with "fully open cans" (like Sony MDR-F1) there shouldn't be a concern about leakage unless your roommates are right on top of you (e.g. you share the same bed and want to listen while they're sleeping) - from another room or across a flat/house/etc it's not going to be a problem, especially if you listen at sane levels. With something that's not "fully open" like the K701 or HD 598 or what-have-you, it's even less of a consideration.

Especially in the dead of night with no other sounds, no heating or cooling turning on, no TV, no traffic noise, no computer fan noise, I think sound leakage can be a big problem even traveling through walls.  Depends what the walls are made of.  Wood floors vs. carpet might help bounce the sound around too.  

If people are on the other side of the house, ok.  In a next room, there should be concern.  It also depends on if the other people are ok with some sound, or want no sound.  

Sep 11, 2015 at 1:22 AM Post #19 of 19
Especially in the dead of night with no other sounds, no heating or cooling turning on, no TV, no traffic noise, no computer fan noise, I think sound leakage can be a big problem even traveling through walls.  Depends what the walls are made of.  Wood floors vs. carpet might help bounce the sound around too.  

If people are on the other side of the house, ok.  In a next room, there should be concern.  It also depends on if the other people are ok with some sound, or want no sound.  

I don't live (and have never lived that I can recall) somewhere that quiet; kind of envious if you do live somewhere like that. :xf_eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back