Looking for around 150 speakers
Mar 24, 2014 at 5:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 38

PinkFloydQ

Head-Fier
I need recommendations on speakers that are around $150 the cheaper the better, but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality.

Something that's good all around the spectrum

Decent Bass
Decent Mids
Decent Highs

I listen to Hip Hop, Radiohead, Pink Floyd, Enya, jus about anything really

thx

Mar 24, 2014 at 6:56 PM Post #6 of 38
The promedia's bass is adjustable and very level at its recommended setting.

I have no input on the swans, but if it doesn't have a subwoofer, it doesn't have sub bass. That goes for every speaker.

As for monitors, it depends if they're active or passive. Most budget monitors are active speakers like the klipsch promedias, meaning that you just plug them into a line out from the computer and a power outlet and you're done

Mar 24, 2014 at 7:32 PM Post #7 of 38
I need recommendations on speakers that are around $150 the cheaper the better, but I don't want to sacrifice sound quality.

Something that's good all around the spectrum

Decent Bass
Decent Mids
Decent Highs

As b0000 pointed out, the Klipsch Promedia 2.1s are probably the best overall price performance value in the under $150 range. Whether or not it will be "decent" enough for you depends on your listening preferences. If they are not good enough for you, then you probably need to up your budget.

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:11 PM Post #9 of 38
I don't know how much flexibility you have in your budget, but if you could afford this receiver and these Pioneer BS22 speakers that are currently on sale, you'd have the start of an excellent setup that would kick ass once you add a sub and would have much better sound than the Klipsch Promedias even without a sub yet, even though it wouldn't reach quite as deep in bass extension.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:05 PM Post #11 of 38
or you can get something like this instead of the receiver, but you'd have to to get an active subwoofer with a built in crossover. And you'd have to split the line out from your source, though that's technically not optimal, but it might be negligible in practice. No input on its sound quality though. And it might be too weak for big speakers. There are more similar options.

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:13 PM Post #14 of 38
similar option sound intriguing

just search for (stereo) speaker amplifiers.

Those Pioneers with that Lepai would have better SQ than the Klipsh Pro Media, and then you could add the sub later.

x2

Bookshelf speakers or monitors plus separate sub are definitely the way to go.

If you're planning to listen to the speakers from a far place (and not at your desk), make sure you don't get nearfield monitors. Actually, it's best to not get monitors at all, since they're designed to project sound towards a specific spot. Not that they sound bad from far away, but still, you lose out on the detailed sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back