Looking for another headset, recommendations / advice needed :)
Nov 22, 2020 at 5:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

dashton654

New Head-Fier
Hi there, I will post below what I posted in the headphone subreddit for simplicity:

I am looking for another set of headphones to complement my ATH-WS1100iS.
  • Budget - I'm hoping to be around the same price as the ATH-WS1100iS here in terms of pricing. (Sub $250)
  • Source - Desktop iMac / MacBook Pro / PlayStation 5, all using a FiiO e10k. Maybe a smartphone, but that already requires the volume to be turned up to about 80% or higher reach acceptable sound levels coming out of my ATH-WS1100iS and I have been using my Tronsmart Apollo Bold Wireless Earbuds solely for my smartphone / iPad which have been surprisingly good.
  • Requirements for Isolation - No requirements for isolation.
  • Will you be using these Headphones in Public? - Most likely not.
  • Preferred Type of Headphone - No preference.
  • Preferred tonal balance - I absolutely love my ATH-WS1100iS headphones, that being said though, I am looking for something different to those as I am not looking to replace them, just to expand my headset collection and am open to trying something new that will complement those. :) For your reference, I am not very experienced in the realm of being an Audiophile so please bear with me in that aspect. I do know the difference between Bass, Mids, and Trebble. I personally feel somewhat sensitive to trebble so preferably not something that will overwhelm my ears with the squeaking / squealing there.
  • Past headphones - ATH-WS1100iS, Tronsmart Apollo Bold earbuds.
  • Preferred Music - I listen to many different types of music including orchestral, rock (classic & modern), hip-hop, electronic etc. Some examples of bands / groups I have been listening to lately are: Nightwish, Heart, Billy Idol, Avicii, Adele, Nirvana.
  • What would you like to improve on from your set-up - I am not looking for an upgrade to my existing headphones (ATH-WS1100iS) because I am honestly in love with those, what I am looking for is something different. Some of the Audio Technica models that I have been looking at and considering are the R70X's, the AD1000X / 900X / 700X, and the a550z / a950z. The reason I am posting here though is because I am worried that some / all of those headphones may be very similar to the pair I already have, and was seeking advice / recommendations from you all. Thanks!

And finally let me leave you with some of my personal comments: As I mentioned above I feel like I may be sensitive to trebble. I say this because in a previous vehicle I owned (Jeep Wrangler) the trebble from the tweeters was extremely piercing and I feel it may have caused damage to my ears, then again this is the ramblings / speculation of a hypochondriac so feel free to educate me otherwise if that is genuinely the case. I guess I am also looking for some advice on safety with these headsets to not completely destroy my eardrums. (UPDATE: I have just read the hearing safety and ear health thread, very informative. Using the dB meter app on my phone and sealing the mic between the ear cups I was getting about 80dB on average). Using the FiiO e10k I typically set the gain to about 2.5 on the knob. The reason I am using the e10k is because plugging the WS1100iS into my iMac, MacBook, PC, or Android device directly I have to turn the integrated sound-cards volume up to about 80% to get substantial enough sound to the headset for listening. With the e10k and my existing ATH headset is there a specific gain I shouldn't go over to better protect my ears? Any feedback on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back