Looking for "another headphone"
Oct 16, 2006 at 8:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

danmagicman7

100+ Head-Fier
I recently purchased an HD 595 which I am thrilled with. It perfectly compliments my hi-fi stereo (and surround) speaker setup in both quality and soundstage.

What I love about the 595's is the articulate upper range and warm mids. It almost sounds like hi fi set up, which is a very neutral setup. If I were to compare my 595's with my stereo setup, its pretty much like the subwoofer is just turned down with less extension, which is expected.

However, the 595's are godlike for movies. You are right in the action, dialogue is nice and crisp, soundstage is broad.

Now, my audio life was fine and dandy until I decided to start working out in the gym again. I have an iRiver iHP120 (I love its organization...I absolutely hate iPod's scatterbrained way of organizing music just on ID3 tags...I like organizing it myself in folders) Anyways...I have a pair of Sony MDX-some.numbers.here earphones. Wow, they suck. I never realized how awful they were until I had grown accustomed to my 595's. It's like i'm listening to them through cotton.

So, I need a new pair of headphones/cans/IEM's. My pet peve are threads like "595 vs 600" where there are bounds of threads to be found on that topic. I'll try to not make my question like that.

It also turns out I'm going to be in London for 1 month studying abroad...away from my computer, reciever, 595's, and my stereo system. So, I want a pair that will satisfy that need too.

This is what I'm looking for in my headphone (and maybe amp combo). It is in order of what I consider most important:

1) $100-$200 price range

2) A fun sound. Maybe something slightly different than the 595's with a punchy bass and nice high end to motivate me in the gym or give me a quick pick up for a short listening session.

3) Something that can do well without an amp. If it comes down to it, I might cave and get a bithead amp or other amp I can run right from my iRiver. (Also consider that the iRiver could do digital out with RockBox. I haven't tried it yet though) So, please give an amp recommendation if the phone you are recommending benefits greatly from one.

4) Good isolation (IEM or closed) I'll be flying on a plane to London, but normally don't do a ton of plane flying. I will be on tons of busses, subways, trains, and other noisy places. In the gym isolation is nice too.

5) Something semi-portable. I don't mind making room in my backpack for my headphones. In the gym, I don't exactly have a super hot body so the look of headphones probably won't matter much.

I hope this isn't a *rolleyes* kind of question you guys hear all the time. I've tried searching around but really haven't found anyone with the kind of wants I've had.

Thanks guys!

Oct 16, 2006 at 10:15 PM Post #3 of 9
I couldn't disagree more with the Koss recommendation; NO isolation on those, and it'll just ruin it for you, especially on buses, trains, and airplanes. Go for the AKG K81DJ. GREAT isolation, plenty of bass, and definitely a fun sound.

Oct 17, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #4 of 9
Well; I could recommend the SR-80s since they sound just like M22s without the bass......But.....
blink.gif

wink.gif

Oct 17, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
I couldn't disagree more with the Koss recommendation; NO isolation on those, and it'll just ruin it for you, especially on buses, trains, and airplanes. Go for the AKG K81DJ. GREAT isolation, plenty of bass, and definitely a fun sound.

How gym-friendly do you think these guys would be. I never really thought about it.

I am considering the HD280 Pro's as well...but I'm thinking I would get a little sweaty in those.

Would any IEM be considered a "fun" sound? No idea about the Ety 6 or the UE super.fi 3's.

Oct 17, 2006 at 5:09 AM Post #6 of 9
Shure E2Cs have a fun sound. The treble is recessed though, but that can be fixed with a simple kramer mod.

Oct 17, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #7 of 9
How about the mdr 7506/ 7509?

I'm auditioning the 7506 currently. sounds great unamped, bass-check, detail-check.

Has anyone have compared these sonys to like the k81dj, k240s, and other similar cans?

Oct 17, 2006 at 10:37 AM Post #8 of 9
I'd go for the AKG K81DJ as well. It's a great closed can for the price.

For IEMs, I'd check out the iM716. Mine have a surprising amount of bass in either mode, well over sufficient enough for electronica (articulate and defined). Nice high end, too.

Oct 17, 2006 at 10:48 AM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Meyvn
Go for the AKG K81DJ. GREAT isolation, plenty of bass, and definitely a fun sound.

Completely agreed. Will surely display "the other side of things".

Users who are viewing this thread

Back