Looking for an upgrade to the Aune AR5000
May 21, 2024 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

GiveYouFire

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I'm a bit new around here, but I'm looking for a set of headphones that would be a suitable upgrade over the Aune AR5000 that I currently own. I use IEMs a lot at the moment and want to get a bit more into headphones.

I've really enjoyed the AR5000's, but I'm looking for something that would be a step or two above them. I enjoy a more mid centric sound and am quite sensitive to treble, so I'd prefer a headphone more on the dark side. I'm also not a basshead in any way so while I can enjoy a bit of bass I'm not looking for a headphone that over emphasizes the bass.

I'm not totally sure if this would help as I know headphones and IEMs are difficult to compare, but some of my favorite IEMs are the Dunu SA6, Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite and SeeAudio Yume. If I could get a similar sort of sound out of a pair of headphones that would be great.

I'd like to keep this possible new set of headphones under $1000, but I'd be willing to go over that if you think it would be necessary. Thanks for your help!

Last edited:
May 22, 2024 at 4:52 AM Post #2 of 8
The Sennheiser HD600 would be ideal. The Moondrop Blessing 3 is the IEM tuned the same if you neutral tuning in a small package. If you want to save big money, I have a Thieaudio Ghost headphones and they're so close to the Sennheiser HD600 in fit and tuning it's the value for money winner at $119 compared to the Sennheisers.

May 22, 2024 at 4:57 AM Post #3 of 8
Thanks for responding! The HD600 are in a similar price range to the AR5000, so do you think those would be a decent enough upgrade? Is there perhaps an upgrade to HD600 for a couple hundred more?

Also I owned a Blessing 3 for a bit and did enjoy its midrange, but the bass was quite off putting to me for some reason. I actually liked the Blessing 2 more and decided to keep those instead.

May 22, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #4 of 8
SASH Tres

May 22, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #6 of 8
There are diminishing returns as prices go up. A $1000 headphone will not sound 3X better than a $300 headphone -- probably more like 20%, if that. Some people are sensitive enough to nuances that the steep prices are worth it for them. But it's worth exploring what is sometimes condescendingly called mid-fi.

The signature you like (and I do too) is what people here call "neutral" -- not boosted bass or sizzly treble.

I am on record loving the Audio-Technica ATH-R70X. Not just for the incredibly natural and open sound, but for the antigravity-level comfort. It's amazing how good music sounds when your head isn't clamped and your neck isn't carrying a pound of electronics.

https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/6/17535412/audio-technica-r70x-review-professional-headphones

You can also look at other widely touted neutral phones, like the Neumann NDH series, if you're going up the price ladder.

May 22, 2024 at 8:31 PM Post #7 of 8
Hello everyone! I'm a bit new around here, but I'm looking for a set of headphones that would be a suitable upgrade over the Aune AR5000 that I currently own. I use IEMs a lot at the moment and want to get a bit more into headphones.

I've really enjoyed the AR5000's, but I'm looking for something that would be a step or two above them. I enjoy a more mid centric sound and am quite sensitive to treble, so I'd prefer a headphone more on the dark side. I'm also not a basshead in any way so while I can enjoy a bit of bass I'm not looking for a headphone that over emphasizes the bass.

I'm not totally sure if this would help as I know headphones and IEMs are difficult to compare, but some of my favorite IEMs are the Dunu SA6, Kiwi Ears Orchestra Lite and SeeAudio Yume. If I could get a similar sort of sound out of a pair of headphones that would be great.

I'd like to keep this possible new set of headphones under $1000, but I'd be willing to go over that if you think it would be necessary. Thanks for your help!
My favourite headphone is the Focal Elex/Clear. You can get them from Headphones.com for about $499/879.
Great mids, very good bass (for an open back) and nice treble.

I just bought some used HiFiman Arya's (Version 2) and they are Great.

Lastly, the Sennheiser HD660S2's are really amazing and available for about $499/599.

Those are three of my top four and I think you would like any of them. Maybe you can try them out around you?

May 23, 2024 at 5:41 AM Post #8 of 8
My favourite headphone is the Focal Elex/Clear. You can get them from Headphones.com for about $499/879.
Great mids, very good bass (for an open back) and nice treble.

I just bought some used HiFiman Arya's (Version 2) and they are Great.

Lastly, the Sennheiser HD660S2's are really amazing and available for about $499/599.

Those are three of my top four and I think you would like any of them. Maybe you can try them out around you?
Thanks for the reply! I just purchased the Elex, so hopefully it works out well!

I don't have any places to try out headphones around me unfortunately. I'm planning to go to SoCal Canjam this year and hopefully I'll be able to try out some stuff there, but I know a lot of people say it isn't a great place to try out open back headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back