Looking for an upgrade to A900. Would it be Denon ???
Aug 27, 2007 at 4:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

sum1

100+ Head-Fier
I am currently looking for an upgrade to the A900.

I did not like the A900 for music and here is why:
1. The mid of it just disappointed me with some vocal voices sounded honky/nasal
2. Bass quantity is a bit low for me but the quality of it just doesnt seem right feels reverbish. i would love it to have more bass and i like em punchy

AD900 seems like it will fix it but it seems like the overall feeling is that it is less bassy than the A900 eventhough it has a punchy bass.

Can anyone recommend a good can for me to upgrade to? would the Denon D2000 fix all the issue that i dont like with the A900??

Budget is around denon D2000 price

Aug 27, 2007 at 5:54 AM Post #2 of 5
I just upgraded from A900 to D2000. Very satisfied with the purchase (except that the left cup fell off due to the dreaded screw problem).

The D2000's bass is pretty awesome, and I don't think you'll be disappointed. I'm struggling to pick a flaw with the D2000 overall, especially for the price, although I'm not really aware of what a really high-end headphone can do. I think the general consensus is that the D2000s are prettymuch the best headphone in that price bracket. I'm certainly pretty happy with the upgrade.

My only other question is: what is your source and amp? I ask because that may be your weak point. For a while I was using the Corda Move with the A900s, and the former made the latter sound a *lot* better. I think if I had to pick one (ie the Move or the D2000s) I'd probably pick the Move.

Good luck and let us know how you go.

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #3 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by one-eyed-xander /img/forum/go_quote.gif

My only other question is: what is your source and amp? I ask because that may be your weak point. For a while I was using the Corda Move with the A900s, and the former made the latter sound a *lot* better. I think if I had to pick one (ie the Move or the D2000s) I'd probably pick the Move.

Funny you mention that since i do have corda move as well and while it increased the soundstage it actually made the vocal sounded softer which actually made sound more recessed on the A900.

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:25 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Funny you mention that since i do have corda move as well and while it increased the soundstage it actually made the vocal sounded softer which actually made sound more recessed on the A900.

Hmm, interesting. I didn't notice that so much.

I was initially lukewarm on the Move until I discovered low-gain/high-current mode and an external 12V supply. I assume you've tried that sort of stuff too...

I mainly listen to electronic/instrumental stuff and so probably am not the best person to ask about vocals, but I wouldn't expect a *huge* difference between the A900s and the D2000s in this area.

That probably doesn't help ya too much though
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 27, 2007 at 6:42 AM Post #5 of 5
hmm yeah i've played around with those settings and the only configuration i found to affect the sound is actually the HIGH gain settings but for some reason that will make the vocal sounded too sharp/piercing that it makes wish that there is like a Medium gain that is somwehere between the high and low gain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back