Looking for an upgrade path with HD590s
Nov 13, 2005 at 8:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

DVasdekis

New Head-Fier
I'm relatively new to the big wide world of sound and so I'm looking for an upgrade path. For some time now I've been using my HD590s with stock cable, and plugging that directly into an Audigy. I had many months of satisfying use before I realised it had lost the wow factor that I first felt when I switched from the $50 price bracket to this one.

I want that wow factor again. My use will be Computer-as-Source from here until forever it seems. So, what are my options? USB input is essential, and it's going to be used in an environment with a large amount of RF interference. My monitor is a behemoth, and there's wireless stuff everywhere. I think I'd be a happy camper with a single unit solution. Portability doesn't matter to me in the slightest. I have plenty of room, and as far as I'm concerned, the bigger it is the harder it is for me to lose. If it is a multiple unit, like the HR Micro Stack, the cost for an interconnect between the two needs to be factored in. Ideally, I'd like my budget to be under $1100 AUD ($800 USD). I have no qualms whatsoever about buying old or second hand.

I enjoy the meaty sound that my HD590s put out. I listen to a lot of metal, and in my initial pick between HD580s and these it was the deciding factor, as from what I've heard the 580s/600s/650s are not as 'strong' or as 'vibrant' (I'm new to this terminology as well, so correct me if I sound like a git). The quality of my source isn't always the best, so take that into consideration.

I was led towards the HeadRoom amps by the DansData review, but I'm more than happy to be put on another path entirely.

Thanks in advance!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back