Looking for an upgrade from the Radiopaq Jazz. I have tried a few other IEMs recently....Budget - <£150
Jan 24, 2017 at 5:25 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

Gideon

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

Not been online for a while as i've been so satisfied with my last purchase based on discussions here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/436538/radiopaq-jazz-review

These headphones have peformed really well for 6 years, rather than the standard smart phone/portable amp combo i got given a Fiio X1 as my friend had upgraded. Really liking it and can see an improvement in how it's driving the headphones but unfortunately it has also highlighted the weakness of the IEMs on certain areas.

With this extra power and ability to use FLAC nicely i have found the highs start to sound harsh and experience sibilance, the mids are nice and crisp and clear, instruments are well seperated and the bass is tight and punchy but can give a loud rumble when needed.

The overall soundstage is very much what i like and after this recent upgrade i find i need the same kind of sound but a step up to ensure no sibilance or harshness on the highs without giving up the rest of the sound quality.

I have tested so far:

AKG N20s, Fiio Ex1, Soundmagic E80s, and a set of Bose which i can't remember the model of.

AKG N20s are very similar in sound to the radiopaq Jazz i found but the Bass was not quite as present as i like (not a basshead though) and there was still a slight bit of sibilance on certain audio with these.

Fiio Ex1 lots of sibilance, weak bass, unclear mids, seperation felt not quite as good and felt light a step down from the radiopaq Jazz.

Soundmagic E80s was more like a very open natural sound, slight bit of sibilance still on certain tracks, seperation was good but sound was a bit too harsh on my preferred music (taste rather than a weakness i believe).

Bose (model forgotten) all sibilance disappeared at the cost of instrument seperation, clarity tight punchy bass although mids were nice in terms of violins so i suspect it's the normal "coloured" sound from Bose. It wasn't offensive but i wouldn't want to purchase them, if i was given i pair i would use them though.

I have a selection of music tracks i've been testing to try and cover off the very eclectic music i listen too.

Sibilance testers:

System Of a Down - Sugar and Spiders
Alter Bridge - Blackbird

Bass Testers:

Lindsey Stirling - Crystalize
Black Eyed Peas - Hey Mamma

As for the mids i like a clear seperation of instruments and vocals to be present so as an example the violin in Lindsey Stirlings Crystalize not to be drowned out by the bass from the dubstep element.

Some other music i use to test for sibilance and seperation without the cost of bass and warmth is:

Avenged Sevenfold - Seize the day
Kamelot - The Haunting
Korn - Twisted Transistor
Michael Buble - Fever
Muse - Absolution
Ralp Stanley - O Death
Rammstein - Mutter
Rob Zombie - Dragula
Shinedown - I'll follow you
Tracy Chapman - Say Hellelujah

All the above were tested with EQ off for straight comparisons and natural sound and with EQ adjustments did not get quite the right sound still.

Hopefully that gives all you smart people an idea of the soundstage and style i like and can help me found out what the next set is looking like.

Budget is around £150 or less and will be running on the Fiio X1 (v1) 

From the Original Radiopaq Jazz review they compared them to the IE7s and described them as the 7's little brother with a touch more bass.

So if that has the same kind of sound then i would say i'm looking for the IE7s big brother with a touch more bass and clarity/seperation on the highs :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back