Looking for an upgrade from shure SCL-2
Oct 16, 2010 at 9:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

HenryL

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I bought the shure scl-2's about half a year ago and they've crapped out on me three times (they're currently in repair right now, though i suspect they'll just send me a new model). the first two times, i just got swaps. The problem was always the internal connection getting loose, and the final time, i started to see copper cabling at the top.

It's been about a month and i really miss them. But, build quality leaves something to be desired. I was looking at some of the new SE models, in particular the SE315 which has detachable cables that are reenforced with kevlar apparently. That sounds cool. 

Some questions:
Can I get better headphones for 200 dollars?

I'm no audiophile, and the feeling between 320 and 128 bitrates is barely noticeable... So will they sound any different?

Also, pretty sure the 315's are single drivers. Should i be jumping for something for the higher end models? I don't know if I want to be spending $300 on headphones just yet.

Oct 16, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #2 of 9
This story sounds all too familiar although mine was with the e2c (same phone just with a name they've stopped using). After the third or fourth time within about eight months I had had enough and sold the pair I was shipped on ebay. I'm afraid I haven't owned a shure iem since. I liked the sound of them actually I was just annoyed that even with a quick turnaround shure had had them for about 2 months. I switched to etymotic and shure's build quality has apparently improved a lot since then. Anyway...

Quote:
Can I get better headphones for 200 dollars?

Than the scl2 or the se315, either way, probably, yes, tbh you can get better earphones than the e2c for about $60

Quote:
I'm no audiophile, and the feeling between 320 and 128 bitrates is barely noticeable... So will they sound any different?

Probably not, unless it's very badly ripped it shouldn't stop you enjoying your music, which, after all, is the point, also you can get more music on your mp3 player.

Quote:
Should i be jumping for something for the higher end models? I don't know if I want to be spending $300 on headphones just yet.

Don't spend more than you want to (or are allowed to), there are some very good earphones for a lot less than $300 which you will probably be very happy with. This forum can turn expensive very quickly if you're not sure. Also the more you spend the more critical you are of your purchase and you stop listening to the music and you'll end up with your favourite album being a selection of the greatest test-tone hits featuring pink-noise, and i'm sure there's better music out there.

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:36 PM Post #4 of 9
Yeah, sure, I went to etymotic from the e2, specifically the er6. That's not available any more and there are better options so for around $100 i'd say the hf5 or the beyerdynamic dtx80/100 if you want a touch more bass. The head-direct re0 is a strong contender at that price but i am not a huge fan, it has a few QC/build quality problems coupled with a sound I wasn't that much impressed by, it's good, just i don't think it's as head and shoulders above everything else at the price as some seem to think. The favurites at the moment at that price seem to be the panasonic hje900 and the ety mc5 but i haven't heard either. If you want to spend more the only one i have which is more than that is the Westone 2, although it's quite a lot more, although there is the westone 1 which, if it's anything like the 2 will be very good. If you want to spend less then that's where the comparison threads by |joker| and clieos come into their own.

Oct 17, 2010 at 12:08 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
can i use etymotic earphones over the ear like shures? I find them to be more comfortable (no tugging at your ears and popping out) that way.

You can use them over ear yes but they will never fit over ear as well as the shures, that's one thing that annoyed me about them, also if you don't wear them over ear you might have a shock with the cable noise you won't be familiar with. There aren't many earphones that fit over the ear as well as shure's, the only one's i've found to be as good are my Westones. There are others designed to be only worn over ear but i've always felt the ergonomics weren't as good with most of the one's i've used.

Oct 17, 2010 at 11:46 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:
can i use etymotic earphones over the ear like shures? I find them to be more comfortable (no tugging at your ears and popping out) that way.

hf2/hf5 and ER-6i yes. ER-4P/S not really.

Oct 20, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #8 of 9
hi guys

Shure replaced my defective SCL2's with SE115's in clear. the cable is finally clear too! Hurray! 

In terms of sound quality, I'm definitely hearing more bass. Perhaps it's because the foam buds fit better than the pylon orange ones from the previous model. 

I have missed thee! 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back