Looking for an upgrade from pioneer hdj 500s
Aug 21, 2013 at 6:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

vogelino

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, been lurking here for a while finally made an account to get some opinions. I have had these hdj 500s for like 2 years. They have been a good headphone for the most part but have finally cracked apart. They still work, but I want to broaden my knowledge and experience with audio. So I'm looking for an upgrade from the hdj500s.

Just from searching here I have come to find the 500s are considered bassy, I love that hard hitting bass in dubstep, house music and in big drops with metal and deathcore, so I'm looking for a can that can have a broader sound then the 500s without losing bass.

My budget is 250 or so, had my eyes on

Grado 225i
Ath m50
Pioneer hdj 2000
Mt 880 250 ohm

I'm open to any options on these cans ^ and suggestions for others, and am I better off getting open cans? Cause I do also love details, I like classical and piano as well and whisper/asmr vids so.

Aug 21, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Ok thanks man, so if I go with open I'm kind of sacrificing bass for detail, clarity and sound stage?

As a very general rule, especially in your price range, yes.

However, the key point for many is the lack of isolation from outside sound and the sound leakage from open cans compared to closed cans, which almost always isloate better and leak much less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back