Looking for an upgrade from my PSB M4U1s
Oct 27, 2014 at 6:55 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

squee116

500+ Head-Fier
Hi all,

Last year, I bought my first pairs of higher end head-phones.  (Senn HD-25 ii and PSB M4U1)

While I like My HD25s for going out and about, I spend most of my time with my PSBs.  It's hard to quantify what it is I like about them, but when I listen to certain songs (particularly orchestra or female singers) they give me goosebumps.  However, I'm finding the sound stage to be a bit small for me, and I'm noticing that I become less strained wearing open ear designs (superlux 668 I turned into a gaming headset and use for movies).

So what I'm looking for:
1)Cans that excel with my musical tastes.  In order of my most listened to genre to least: ska, orchestra, punk, metal, pop/rock
2)They don't have to handle games perfectly, but I'd like a decent sized sound stage and some degree of accuracy.
3)My price range is varying, but I'd like to keep it around 300 or under if possible.

I have a fairly sized melon, and noticed the clamping pressure on HD25s was a bit much for me.  I didn't have such problems with my PSBs.

I've been looking at the Philips x1/x2s and AKG Q701s.  I'm open to other suggestions.

Oct 27, 2014 at 4:10 PM Post #3 of 7
  if you like psb maybe you can take a look at NAD VISO HP50, they are made by the same guy and NAD VISO HP50 is the newest

I didn't know about these.  They do intrigue me, but I was hoping to find a set of open-ear designs.

Oct 28, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #4 of 7
I've started looking a little higher up the chain, the HD600 and K712.  How do these compare with the PSBs in regard to soundstage, imaging, clarity, and bass?

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #5 of 7
Has anyone compared the PSB M4U1's to the AKG k712 pro or the HD600s?

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:39 PM Post #7 of 7
I would also be interested in a comparo between the k712 and m4u1

I have both now... lol  I may write a comparison of the two later, but to me, they serve very different purposes from one another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back