Looking for an upgrade from HD555
Oct 20, 2014 at 9:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

Sean8

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I recently graduated college and got a job that pays me enough to start really getting into this hobby and want to upgrade from the Senn HD555s that faithfully got me through the last 8 years or so.

I recently got the Senn Momentums for work use (needed something closed) and it got me itching to get something new for home use.

Here's what I'm looking for and what I listen to. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can give me some suggestions!

1. Listening taste: all over the place; some rock, some acoustic, some spoken word, even some hip-hop and rap.
    1. Some of my favorite artists are (if it might help): Alice in Chains, Counting Crows, Drake, Eminem, HIM, Seether, The Smashing Pumpkins, Staind, and Trent Reznor
  2. I have a Nu-Force uDac-2, but I don't mind buying something that would require something like the Magni/Modi stack
  3. I want an open pair of phones to directly replace / supplement the HD555
  4. I've only ever owned Sennheiser because I know I like the sound signature and when I'm spending a few hundred dollars on headphones, I'd like to increase the likelihood that I'll enjoy them
    1. However, I am open to other options
  5. I like a relatively flat sound signature, but am willing to sacrifice bass before treble (I'd prefer to get a pretty good balance all over)
  6. My budget is pretty much whatever I want it to be (rewarding myself for getting through college and getting a job!) but I'd prefer to get the whole thing (cans + whatever I'd need to drive them) for $400 or less

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Oct 20, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #3 of 3
  I recently graduated college and got a job that pays me enough to start really getting into this hobby and want to upgrade from the Senn HD555s that faithfully got me through the last 8 years or so.
I recently got the Senn Momentums for work use (needed something closed) and it got me itching to get something new for home use.
Here's what I'm looking for and what I listen to. Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me can give me some suggestions!
  1. Listening taste: all over the place; some rock, some acoustic, some spoken word, even some hip-hop and rap.
    1. Some of my favorite artists are (if it might help): Alice in Chains, Counting Crows, Drake, Eminem, HIM, Seether, The Smashing Pumpkins, Staind, and Trent Reznor
  2. I have a Nu-Force uDac-2, but I don't mind buying something that would require something like the Magni/Modi stack
  3. My budget is pretty much whatever I want it to be (rewarding myself for getting through college and getting a job!) but I'd prefer to get the whole thing (cans + whatever I'd need to drive them) for $400 or less
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Audio Technica ATH series are usually around 40-Ohm, easy for the uDac-2 to drive.
ATH-AD900X ($160-$200)
or ATH-AD1000X or even a used ATH-AD2000X.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back