Looking for an player that will fit my needs.
Apr 14, 2013 at 12:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Phestezeo

New Head-Fier
Hey all, been lurking this site for a while now, but have just finally got around to creating an account. Any time I've wanted to look into any pair of headphones or DAP or anything I've always  found myself immediately coming back to Head-Fi to get your takes on the item, and looking around the web of course, and, because of that, I have a question I'm hoping you can all be generous enough to help me with? 

So I'm in the market for a new music player. Have had a generic iPod touch 8GB for a while and don't see it going too much further so I figure I should just invest in a new player and re-experience music again. As it stands now (still pretty new to the whole audio gear scene) I have an Audio Technica AHT-M50 and AD700, Grado SR80i, and FiiO E11, this is excluding any miscellaneous stuff I have, and am going to expand on this collection as time goes on, but want something that can let me really enjoy my current and future hardware while lounging at home or on the go outside. 

So far I've been looking into some players by Cowon and they seem pretty cool to me. UI problems seem like they can be alleviated with the custom UI's available so I can move past that, and the screens being a little quirky is also a moot issue as I don't plan to use my player for much else other than a portable music library, but I don't want to skimp on the overall quality of the item. 

I guess long story short (a little late for that) I'm looking for something that is around >$300, but that is more of a maximum and one I would rather avoid if possible, has excellent sound quality, can be bought in or shipped to Canada (live in Calgary, Alberta if anyone knows a place), has a spacious amount of memory, hopefully one that can be expanded by a 128GB micro SD card, is easy to work with, doesn't require any annoying programs (I personally find iTunes to be quite unwieldy), has a worthwhile battery life and doesn't have to be charged every night, but I will be willing to overlook this if other traits of the player are too good to pass up, and won't die on me if I accidentally drop it from 2 centimetres. I know these are a lot of requirements but I am willing to overlook some for other benefits and attributes. 

As it stands now, I'm looking at the Cowon Z2. It seems pretty cool, expandable memory, plays a plethora of file types and does so with excellent quality, has JetEffect 5 and BBE, and has a pleasing look to it (I know that sounds vein but having an unappealing device always kind of bothered me. Makes me not want to take it out of my pocket to look at it.) So I've looked it up and have found a nice word of two about it; however, I don't want to rule anything else out.

Any of your Head-Fi'ers know of any other company's or players that fit all/most of my wants? I'd just like to make sure that I don't want it to do anything more than really play music for me. If it adds to my listening experience than that is fine with me, but I don't need it to make me breakfast in the morning while singing me a tune. But if you know one that does that then let me know. 

Thanks for any reply your willing to give, always appreciated. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 8
Check out the forthcoming Fiio X3 which is being released within the next few weeks. With an estimated retail price of around $200.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/651769/fiio-x3-appreciation-and-impressions-thread-update-march-20th-read-the-first-post-before-posting

It has a great spec and has a powerful amp already built in to power harder to drive headphones. There is a chance that it might also support 128GB microSDXC cards if/when they are brought out. If it's as good as the specs suggest it should be it could be the must have DAP for a lot of head-fiers, it has certainly caught my attention.

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM Post #3 of 8
Hmm, didn't know the FiiO X3 was going to release around now. I noticed in that thread that it said that the release date for north America is in June, so I figure I will have to import it from Mainland China to get it here? If so, is it confirmed that the language can be changed with any of the units from the trial sale? If I can import it I hope the incurring charges/fees/brokerages aren't going to jack the price into the stratosphere. I guess I should try and keep an eye on the FiiO X3, it seems like quite the unit just based off of that thread alone. 

However. do you, by chance, have any other suggestions or players I should look into? Don't want to close the books on this process just yet. Just want to make sure that I am getting something that will support me well for a long while to come. 

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:57 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Hmm, didn't know the FiiO X3 was going to release around now. I noticed in that thread that it said that the release date for north America is in June, so I figure I will have to import it from Mainland China to get it here? If so, is it confirmed that the language can be changed with any of the units from the trial sale? If I can import it I hope the incurring charges/fees/brokerages aren't going to jack the price into the stratosphere. I guess I should try and keep an eye on the FiiO X3, it seems like quite the unit just based off of that thread alone. 

However. do you, by chance, have any other suggestions or players I should look into? Don't want to close the books on this process just yet. Just want to make sure that I am getting something that will support me well for a long while to come. 

I'm sorry I can provide any more information than is already on the X3 thread. I'd imagine it will be pretty difficult to get a hold of a 1st batch example from China and there would be too many uncertainties for me to contemplate taking that risk.
To find out if the langauge could be changed I'd probably download a PDF/manual for the E17 and if it contains all langauges for the OS, although not guaranteed, it would suggest that Fiio may also use this approach with the rest of their products.

I'll be waiting until they reach the UK and go for a 2nd or 3rd batch model just in case any of the early ones have any teething problems/issues.

Re- other DAP options, you could maybe have a look at the modified Ipod classic (imod iirc??) I don't have one to be able to comment but they seem to be quite popular with people looking for a DAP with large storage.

Regards,

Ari

Apr 15, 2013 at 9:21 AM Post #5 of 8
I've read that the 160GB iPod Classic is pretty good, I guess I will keep that on my watch list as well. It's too bad that the FiiO X3 is still a little ways away, was kind of hoping for a DAP rather soon-ish. Perhaps I can get a different one to keep me for a little while and then be sported as a backup in case something happens to my primary player. I've read that the Sansa Clip+ is inexpensive and gives you plenty more bang for your buck than many had originally thought. Anyone have any experience with that, or any of the other Sansa players such as the Fuze? 

Apr 16, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #7 of 8
Yep, I think a Sansa Clip + is a good idea as a stop gap to keep you going until the X3 is released internationally and has lots of user reviews for you to read over before deciding whether to pull the trigger or go for something else.
I've never had the pleasure of listening to one but It measures very well according to nwavguys blog, It's inexpensive, great value and best bang for buck bar none. I'd go for it too if I was you.

Apr 16, 2013 at 2:28 PM Post #8 of 8
Glad to hear support for the Sansa Clip+, it seems like a really good player from a good company so they've earned it. It is rather unfortunate that the maximum included space is 8GB, but I figure a 64GB micro SDXC will alleviate that for a while. Hopefully the Clip+ will last me until the hopefully very good FiiO X3 drops and has had a chance to get more accustomed. 

Does anyone who owns a Clip+ want to contribute anything about it? Anything I should pay mind to? Things that might be an issue? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back