Looking for an open-back headphone that excels with vocals and is dynamic...
Jun 8, 2016 at 11:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

ReelDeal

Head-Fier
I have been building my headphone system. I had to start with closed-back phones b/c my wife and I both work from home out of the same office. I have ZMF Vibros. They are fantastic! They have hooked me on a midrange that almost brings you to tears when Norah sings! (not to mention, Keb Mo, Joe Cocker... You get the picture). 

Well, there are times when I can get away with an open-backed phone. So, I would like some recommendations for something that has does great with vocals, and is dynamic. (I learned how that trait is when I started using a Magni 2 Uber as a preamp into my Decware Taboo.) 

I need to keep the price around $300 (b/c of recently building the rest of the system). I'm ok with used or open-box. 

To let you know, the rest of my system is:
--Decware Taboo MKIII (tube amp)
--Schiit Bifrost (multibit)
--Schiit Magni 2 Uber (as preamp)
--Wyred4Sound Recovery

A few models I am considering...
Beyerdynamic DT990 or 880
Sennheiser HD650 or 600 (I've heard the Beyerdynamics are more dynamic)
Philips X2/27
Hifiman (whatever model can be had in this range)

I'm open to other suggestions...

Thanks!

Jun 9, 2016 at 4:19 AM Post #2 of 14
Beyerdynamic DT990 or 880

If you are looking for good midrange as you mentioned then DT990 are not suitable in my opinion. If you want good vocals then you can buy Sennheiser HD598 for much cheaper than you are currently willing to spend (since these are going to be used sparingly).

Jun 9, 2016 at 7:33 AM Post #3 of 14
The 598 is a good option. Another good choice for you would be the HiFiMAN HE-400S (at $299.00 new). It is breathtaking on vocals and midrange in general. Very detailed and musical. You can read my review of the 400S currently on the front page of head-fi toward the bottom. The bass can be a bit on the shy side for some people, and that can be ameliorated with a quick ear pad change (to Focus A pads). I personally have not done that yet, as I am happy with the bass on my HE-400S. If you are really fond of bass, you should look at the X1 or X2, IMO--they have it in bundles. Good luck.

Jun 9, 2016 at 7:44 AM Post #4 of 14
HD650. I can tell you they are excellent with vocals and dynamic is good with a good amp while not the most dynamic set around obv.
You can also look at Hifiman range. I personnally prefered HD650 over HE400s, but I own HE500 and they match your requirements too. Don't know newer version of 400i, may be worth to check.

Jun 9, 2016 at 9:12 AM Post #5 of 14
Look into the AKG K7XX which is a special Massdrop edition: http://www.head-fi.org/t/743280/the-akg-k7xx-massdrop-first-edition-thread.

Jun 9, 2016 at 12:58 PM Post #6 of 14
Thanks so much for the input. I will check out the various models. I had heard the Senn 650's weren't very dynamic, but I do have a good amp. I had the AKG K7XX. It was a little bass-heavy for me. Definitely when it comes to bass, I want quality vs. quantity. ... Thanks again!

Jun 9, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #7 of 14
Would recommend the AD900X wholeheartedly. Quality bass, forward vocals and a sparkly treble. Supposedly the AD1000X has a slightly better build but I can't comment on the sonic differences as I haven't tried it. 

Hope this helps.

Jun 9, 2016 at 10:45 PM Post #8 of 14
  Would recommend the AD900X wholeheartedly. Quality bass, forward vocals and a sparkly treble. Supposedly the AD1000X has a slightly better build but I can't comment on the sonic differences as I haven't tried it. 

Hope this helps.

I haven't heard much about these. Will check them out. ... Definitely finding varied opinions of all of these. I know amps and dacs play a big role. 

Jun 10, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #9 of 14
Philips X1 would tick the boxes imo

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:04 AM Post #11 of 14
I'm not very familiar with the Philips phones. ... I have seen some reviews that say the Sennheiser's are not as dynamic as other phones. I'm wondering how much of that was amp related. 

Jun 10, 2016 at 8:45 AM Post #13 of 14
So the warmth, compared to Beyers isn't what you want from vocals? Worth an audition still I would say.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back