Looking for an mp3 player
Jul 20, 2017 at 10:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

ukie

New Head-Fier
Hello, I wasn't sure where to post this, please let me know if this isn't the right place.

The title says it all. But there are a few things that I am looking for in particular.

-Good battery life, preferably over 15 hours
-Touch screen
-Physical controls. At least volume, back/forward, play. Wonderful if volume is a knob/dial.
-Expandable storage
-Good and reliable organization (fast and easy to find what I want)
-No bugs
-Under 250 (considering up to 350)

So far the only thing I found that fits the bill is NW-A35. Does anyone know of others?

Contemplating the Fiio x5iii, even though battery not as good and higher price. But it sure seems nice XD

Background: Ipod classic. The wheel is OK, but can be a pain to find something as the list is long. Having some issues with finding music I know is there. May not show up in the artist/album, but can find it via search. So I don't want any bugs like that :)

Jul 20, 2017 at 11:14 AM Post #3 of 9
I was looking for something similar this week and I did a bunch of research.
I mostly had the same requirements as you, but I also wanted my device to be a video player.

The Sony was one of my top choices, but it doesn't have video playback apparently, so I crossed it out.
There's also the Cowon X9, it's around 200 but it's quite old. The battery life is supposed to be 110 hours though.
And Cowon has a more recent model called the Plenue D, which could be the thing for you. I wrote it off because the screen was too small for me.
There are some other models in their Plenue line too, but most of them are above your budget.

The other models I was looking at were the Pioneer XDP-300R and its previous model, the XDP-100R.
These run about 300-400, there's also the Onkyo DP-X1 that is almost the same product, but costs about 100 more.
They're Android players with relatively high resolution screens and can connect to the internet. They also support high res audio and have balanced outputs, not my thing though.
A bad thing I read about them is that their jacks can get loose over time, this goes for all 3 models.

I looked at the same Fiio too, but it seems it has the usual Fiio issues with software, etc. I'd browse the thread here and on other forums carefully before committing on the player.

In the end I didn't go with any of those players above and just ended up getting a new phone, lol.
Mostly because the screen is important to me and it tends to be just an afterthought on these DAPs (where the focus is on multiple high-end DACs, lossless, high res, balanced, etc. - none of which I care for).
And big smartphones can come with 4500+ mAh batteries, which nets you 20+ hours of audio playback with the right model.

Hope the above info helps you some at least in the search for more options.

Jul 21, 2017 at 8:13 AM Post #4 of 9
Whoa thanks for the advice!

I didn't realize that fiio had some of those issues. It would have been nice to have the flexibility of android, but that battery life is kind of low as well.

Yea, I would be using my phone as well. But I want this for when I go traveling for a long time and my phone storage isn't expandable.

I think I'm leaning toward Cowon Plenue D. It would have been nice to have bluetooth, but that battery life seems like more of an advantage.

If anyone knows of any others, please speak up

Jul 21, 2017 at 10:04 AM Post #5 of 9
I was looking for something similar this week and I did a bunch of research.
I mostly had the same requirements as you, but I also wanted my device to be a video player.

The Sony was one of my top choices, but it doesn't have video playback apparently, so I crossed it out.
There's also the Cowon X9, it's around 200 but it's quite old. The battery life is supposed to be 110 hours though.
And Cowon has a more recent model called the Plenue D, which could be the thing for you. I wrote it off because the screen was too small for me.
There are some other models in their Plenue line too, but most of them are above your budget.

The other models I was looking at were the Pioneer XDP-300R and its previous model, the XDP-100R.
These run about 300-400, there's also the Onkyo DP-X1 that is almost the same product, but costs about 100 more.
They're Android players with relatively high resolution screens and can connect to the internet. They also support high res audio and have balanced outputs, not my thing though.
A bad thing I read about them is that their jacks can get loose over time, this goes for all 3 models.

I looked at the same Fiio too, but it seems it has the usual Fiio issues with software, etc. I'd browse the thread here and on other forums carefully before committing on the player.

In the end I didn't go with any of those players above and just ended up getting a new phone, lol.
Mostly because the screen is important to me and it tends to be just an afterthought on these DAPs (where the focus is on multiple high-end DACs, lossless, high res, balanced, etc. - none of which I care for).
And big smartphones can come with 4500+ mAh batteries, which nets you 20+ hours of audio playback with the right model.

Hope the above info helps you some at least in the search for more options.
THe xdp-300r, xdp-100r has never had issues with the jacks. Stop spreading misimformation especially on the 100r. The jack issues were on the earlier dp-x1 they fixed the issue and dont have the issue any longer with the x1a or even the later x1.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 9
I skimmed the whole threads on both players and various other sources on the net, and both models were reported to have loosening jacks.
Perhaps you should check your info first before calling out others, I'm sure the irony isn't lost here.
I see you own one and probably don't have any problems with it and that's why you felt obliged to defend it as people are wont to do nowadays.

I'm just giving the guy a buyer beware so he knows what he's getting into, from a neutral standpoint, I have no beef with the company.

Jul 21, 2017 at 12:41 PM Post #7 of 9
I have read all the threads in depth and participated frequently. The only comments in the 300r and the 100r threads were people not knowing anything about or with any experience and just making comments. I have no problem talking about faults of products as all of them have them. Sometimes I have to unmount my sd cards after transferring music as the software did not register it correctly and resync my library. It can be a pain in the ass at times. I think there was one guy who was using a diy cable that ripped out his jack on the 300r., but that was an exception and not the loose jack issue that was plaguing the x1 with the large cutout of the 2.5mm hole. The 100r has had 0 issues as it is only a 3.5mm and the only issues were with the players with the 2.5mm. So if worried about the loose jack stay away from the ones with the 2.5mm and you wont have a problem. Which leaves the xdp-100r and that should be around the ops price range.

Last edited:
Jul 21, 2017 at 1:55 PM Post #8 of 9
If you google "xdp-100r loose jack," literally the 2nd, 3rd and many more results owners are saying that this model has the same problem as well.

https://www.tapatalk.com/topic/986630-canuck-audio-mart/44636-3-5-mm-connector-on-dap-loose

http://forum.onkyousa.com/viewtopic.php?p=35480&sid=b56cff87bdba8f0b8eff36c841fdb752
("I first noticed this when I had the Pioneer XDP-100, where the jack became extremely loose and the headphone will slide out with minimal movement. I then exchanged it and only to see it happen again.")

And at least several on Amazon where they returned it cause of this issue (and yes, the 3.5mm jack, not 2.5).

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0197WVF82
https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-...=cm_cr_getr_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B0197WVF82

And so on.
I saw that pulled out jack in the 300R thread as well, and I find it highly suspect knowing the model has issues with the jack. It's easy to blame the cable but a plug is a plug, unless you're using one that is known to be faulty, just pulling out the plug should not take the jack with it.

I won't post about this again since this is completely off-topic and a waste of time, I'll just say that the evidence is out there if you bother to do your due diligence (which is a good idea if you're buying an expensive DAP).

Jul 21, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #9 of 9
this will be my last post on this matter as well. How come no issues have come up with the 100r on head.fi? Its pretty suspicious when one person has problems with 5 units. There are not even a handful of posts of problems with the actual jack loosing inside from google and who knows if its even the same person. Seems like it would have shown up on the largest hi-fi community. I know probably 20 to 30 people that have these units and no one has seen any issues. I I am not blaming the cable, but he did not say anything on how it happened or go into any detail on how it happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back