Looking for an IEM with sound similar to Sennheiser PX-100
Mar 29, 2014 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

CyanBlues

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a pair of IEM's that isolate a moderate to good amount and, of course, offer good sound quality.  I mainly listen to music through my home stereo, and I have a pair of JVC HARX700 with the felt removed and a mic attached for teamspeak/vent sessions, so the IEM's would be used only sparingly for stuff like mowing the lawn or road trips.  My budget is up to ~$100, but I'd like to keep it a bit lower if possible.  Source would be a Creative Zen for now, but replaced with a Sandisk Sansa Clip+/Zip fairly soon.

I have a pair of 6 year old Sennheiser PX-100's which I really, really like, but they don't isolate, so IEM's it is.  And while I may be open to other sound signatures, something similar to the PX-100 would be a safe bet for my tastes in music.  Sound quality is my first concern followed by isolation.  Also, I don't want something with a mic, as TRRS plugs don't play nice with my computer's or Creative Zen's headphone ports.

I just recently purchased the Creative Aurvana In-Ear 3 since I caught a small sale on them, but I'm finding that their sound signature is not doing a whole lot for me.  I find the mids are too pronounced and the bass is a little lacking for my tastes, however the highs seem good.  So back to amazon they go.

If I can't find an IEM similar to the PX-100, I guess a good starting place to try would be something warmer and less mid emphasis than the Aurvana.  And non harsh highs are a requirement.

As far as music genres go, I mostly stick to ska punk/punk rock, various rock/metal, and alternative, sprinkled with stuff like chip tunes, video game/anime music.  Favorite band would probably be Reel Big Fish, though I'm not really digging their more recent albums.  Other bands I'm currently listening to: The Heavy, Cage the Elephant, Eric McFadden Trio, and Gogol Bordello.

One of the tracks I use for comparison purposes is this, Ragna's Theme: Rebellion 
The master isn't the cleanest (even when ripped directly from the game/ost), but if I can't rock to that, then the headphone isn't for me.

Thanks for taking the time to read and/or respond!

Note: With the Creative Aurvana In Ear 3's I noticed I was getting a fair amount of hiss when plugged into my comptuer, creative zen mp3 player, and even my HTC One phone.  The line noise was so much on my computer that I could hear the effects of the components like the fans were having on the signal.  However, with my Sennheiser's or JVC's, I don't hear any of that.  Is that a strictly a function of the difference headphone impedance (32/48ohms for the Senn/JVC vs 28 for the IE3), or does sensitivity factor in?  Or maybe the older mp3 player and my computer's front audio ports just suck.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back