Looking for an IEM that fits these specific criteria..
Oct 12, 2012 at 11:45 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

onthefence

New Head-Fier
Needs (must-haves):

- Volume, pause, and track skip controls
- Very good isolation
- Low microphonics/cable noise

Wants (not must-haves, just preferences):

- Very big soundstage.. looking for that epic feeling when you feel completely surrounded by the music    
  which seems to be 'dancing' around you
- Sounds NOT flat, distant, hollow, or muffled
- Very clear with good detail
- Sound signature that compliments alternative music (think My Morning Jacket, The Shins) and/or rock 
  music (think Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots)
- Can be worn cable-down instead of over-ear

I've tried Monster Turbine Coppers but they had too much microphonics and the soundstage and clarity weren't as good as I would've liked. I realize that what I'm asking for might be an impossibility since I'm restricting myself by needing volume/track controls, so if you can't recommend anything with controls then feel free to recommend something without.

Oct 12, 2012 at 2:16 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
Needs (must-haves):

- Volume, pause, and track skip controls
- Very good isolation
- Low microphonics/cable noise

Wants (not must-haves, just preferences):

- Very big soundstage.. looking for that epic feeling when you feel completely surrounded by the music    
  which seems to be 'dancing' around you
- Sounds NOT flat, distant, hollow, or muffled
- Very clear with good detail
- Sound signature that compliments alternative music (think My Morning Jacket, The Shins) and/or rock 
  music (think Smashing Pumpkins, Stone Temple Pilots)
- Can be worn cable-down instead of over-ear

I've tried Monster Turbine Coppers but they had too much microphonics and the soundstage and clarity weren't as good as I would've liked. I realize that what I'm asking for might be an impossibility since I'm restricting myself by needing volume/track controls, so if you can't recommend anything with controls then feel free to recommend something without.

IE8/80s should have that huge soundstage that you're looking for. Keep in mind that "soundstage" on IEMs is pretty much a moot point. Decent positioning, imaging, etc are probably what you should be looking at. A solid mic IEM with fantastic usability would be the PFE132s. Soundstage won't be as large as you want though.

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:15 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
IE8/80s should have that huge soundstage that you're looking for. Keep in mind that "soundstage" on IEMs is pretty much a moot point. Decent positioning, imaging, etc are probably what you should be looking at. A solid mic IEM with fantastic usability would be the PFE132s. Soundstage won't be as large as you want though.

Good isolation is a must for me, so I can't go with the IE8. Also why are you saying I should be looking at positioning and imagine instead of a big soundstage?

Oct 13, 2012 at 2:39 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:
Good isolation is a must for me, so I can't go with the IE8. Also why are you saying I should be looking at positioning and imagine instead of a big soundstage?

Because the soundstage you're looking for often can't happen with IEMs. The IE8s gave something closest to a headphone sized soundstage that I've heard. So it might be best to look more in terms of a enveloping presentation rather than literal size. This would stem from positioning and imaging, as mentioned.

If you had meant something else when you said large soundstage though, I apologize for the misunderstanding, and ask for more clarification in the future.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back