Looking for an IEM that costs up to $150
Oct 22, 2009 at 2:57 PM Post #16 of 25
Oct 22, 2009 at 4:02 PM Post #17 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frydude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried London Drugs and they don't have it, bummer. I emailed NuForce and they said I'd be better off buying the NE-6 off of eBay. Are there variants of the NE-6? I wouldn't know if it was real or fake lol...

NuForce® NE-6 Earphone works with iPhone/iPod, MP3 on eBay.ca (item 180414196762 end time 30-Oct-09 20:52:39 EDT)

Is the listing I'm considering.

You mean they sold out? Because om their website it is listed, but you will have to check instore for them.

Oct 22, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #18 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by mythless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
...the im-590...has...less bass impact.

Is this based on your personal experience, or ? Which is not to say if it's true or not, but the only direct (A/B) comparison that I'm aware of on this site (which is quite consistent with my own direct testing) would not seem to agree:

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sound Impressions and Comparisons: My early comparison impressions were that the Maximo are more energetic, detailed and forward, while the NE-7M are more laid back and smoother. Bass is about the same, but the Maximo have more upper mids/treble presence and energy. After a few weeks my feelings about the two remain the same. With their distinct and different sound signatures I've been using the iMetal with rock music, and the Nuforce with jazz and classical; but acoustic, folk and new age/electronic seems to work well with both. That's not to say that the Nuforce are bad with with rock but just that the iMetal do it better with more energy and presence - and the iMetal are not bad with jazz and classical but just that they're just not as relaxing and euphonic with that genre as the Nuforce.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #19 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Andrew H /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this based on your personal experience, or ? Which is not to say if it's true or not, but the only direct (A/B) comparison that I'm aware of on this site (which is quite consistent with my own direct testing) would not seem to agree:

At first listen, the Im-590 does seem to have less bass impact. I think now that this is because the Nuforces hold the bass notes longer (I believe 'decay' is the proper term), achieving that smooth sound and creating an illusion of more low-end power. It's hard to analyze such things objectively, but with a frequency generator I did not feel that the Nuforces produced more bass. The Maximos have just a tad deeper extension, too, but I still think the Nuforces will sound more "bassy" to the average listener.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:07 PM Post #20 of 25
Quote:

I personally have not heard the maximo, but not only from HA's experience but also Joker's experience with them, the bass on the IM-590 are more punchy than boomy when compared to the NE-7m. Thus, when recommending a IEM, the NE-7m were mentioned over the IM-590 due to genre preference. IM-590 remind me of grados, excellent for rock but only decent for rap/hiphop.

Oct 22, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #21 of 25
Oct 22, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #23 of 25
Quote:

At first listen, the Im-590 does seem to have less bass impact. I think now that this is because the Nuforces hold the bass notes longer (I believe 'decay' is the proper term), achieving that smooth sound and creating an illusion of more low-end power. It's hard to analyze such things objectively...

Ah. Yes this would seem quite plausible. Testing for transient response would be done with dry (not swimming in reverb) percussive sounds or pulse tones. Ideally, (as with any component) faster = more accurate = more desirable. "Slower" bass (or mid or treble) would not be a good way to get (the perception of) more of it. But we won't go into how people need to learn to stop fearing the idea of EQ (the engineer's best friend), which can greatly improve any gear (especially at this level), as well as ear of the listener.

Quote:

IM-590 remind me of grados...

It has been suggested. Although admittedly, my own experience with full-size cans is shamefully limited. (At meets, I've tended to ignore the "real world" stuff too much, especially since my fellow PDXers always bring on the serious ear candy in a big way.)

Quote:

...excellent for rock but only decent for rap/hiphop.

A mentality that is not challenged nearly enough around here. Rock fans should be happy not to hear thundering bass? Rap fans should be happy not to hear all the "grain" off the turntable? I think we're getting to a point (in even low-end gear development) where people need to quit thinking that anything below a JH-13 requires such blanket compromise.

(Sorry for the thread hijack!!!!)

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #24 of 25
Quote:

A mentality that is not challenged nearly enough around here. Rock fans should be happy not to hear thundering bass? Rap fans should be happy not to hear all the "grain" off the turntable? I think we're getting to a point (in even low-end gear development) where people need to quit thinking that anything below a JH-13 requires such blanket compromise.

(Sorry for the thread hijack!!!!)

Yes, very true, however, rock and rap/hiphop have different sound mentality. Would rock fans be happy listening to thunderous bass? Depends, but if the bass is over powers the clarity and detail of the mids and highs of the vocals/guitar probably not. I personally do not like listening to rock with over bearing bass, I prefer punchy. I like to hear the guitar, the bass guitar, everything, not just the boom from the drums. Which is why I love grado for rock, it has the punchy bass and the details/ clarity of the highs and mids that I like to hear with rock music.

For rap/hiphop, also varies. I can listen to rap/hiphop with my RE0 but they don't have enough impact, especially if you got an artist that is in sync with the rhythm, and use the bass to emphasizes his/her lyrics to create some oomph. Which is why boomy bass is preferred, and thus why lots of clubs have boomy (bloated) bass lol.

Of course this is my personal preference.

Oct 23, 2009 at 2:01 AM Post #25 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frydude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I appreciate you going out of your way to post all that ^ but the thread served it's purpose. Thanks again everyone.

Ka-boom actually did it to show you that there were plenty of threads already started on the exact same topic. Oh, and that the search engine is your friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back