Looking for an IEM similar to...
Oct 17, 2013 at 11:09 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Agony

100+ Head-Fier
The HD25. Generally looking for something with a relatively analytic signature, favoring mids and mid-treble, under $150 - bass extension isn't terribly important, but treble extension with sparkly highs (a-la HD25) is. I'd prefer the bass to be tight and controlled, but not boomy. Thanks to all who can help. (more is specified in later posts)

Oct 19, 2013 at 12:40 AM Post #5 of 16
V-moda Remix should be a solid choice at $59.99 ( just audio) or $79.99 ( Remote) and these are the MSRP and can be found cheaper on amazon i believe ( The pink one without remote is $30 or so directly from them)

While I have bought them i don't currently remember them( I bought a pair of V-moda IEM's at Costco a few years ago but missed-placed them soon after getting them )... I am pretty sure all of V-moda headphones all use the V-shaped Sound signature.

Oct 20, 2013 at 10:16 PM Post #6 of 16
  The ATH-M50 or HD-25. Generally looking for something with a V-shaped signature under $150 - bass extension isn't terribly important, but treble extension with sparkly highs (HD25) is. Thanks to all who can help.

Would you be asking for qualities similar to the M50/HD25 beyond that of merely frequency response? Timbral qualities, texture, detailing, positioning/presentation, the likes?

The first thing that comes to mind is the FXD80s, at least in terms of V-shaped and sparkle. The mids might be too clear-cut and might not have enough texture though. Again,  specifying a bit more would be immensely more helpful

I am pretty sure all of V-moda headphones all use the V-shaped Sound signature.

That's a bit of a generalization. The Vibes and the M80s are certainly not V-shaped. 

Oct 20, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #7 of 16
  Would you be asking for qualities similar to the M50/HD25 beyond that of merely frequency response? Timbral qualities, texture, detailing, positioning/presentation, the likes? Specifying a bit more would be immensely more helpful

Thanks for the response. Beyond frequency response similarities, I would rather the mids and the upper ends of said IEM to be a bit more smoother than the M50s, or slightly more laid back, with a treble with similar sparkle to the M50 and HD25, if not a little less. Although I said I wanted a typical V-shape response, I do want the mids to retain clear and not muddled without much bass leaking through. That being said, I don't really ask for much in the bass department; I just want a slight, noticeable punch (a-la HD25) while still remaining controlled and not boomy. I do realize I'm asking for a lot in a sub-$150 IEM, so sacrificing some of these qualities isn't beyond me.

I've been looking into the Shure SE215 and Etymotic HF5, would these fit these qualities well? I have a feeling I'm going to get recommended the TF10 a lot; I've already owned the TF10 for a while before deciding to let go of it, and the sound was a little dark to me for a reference point. I didn't mind it, but a slightly brighter sound would be preferrable.

Thanks in advance.

Oct 21, 2013 at 1:36 AM Post #8 of 16
Try checking out T-Peos H-100. If you like a V shaped signature, you will love it. It has the same signature as TF10.

Oct 21, 2013 at 9:39 PM Post #10 of 16
Oct 21, 2013 at 10:19 PM Post #11 of 16

Yeah, I frequently use those threads, but the short(er) reviews don't do me justice since I'm not too familiar with the difference between various signatures just yet as I haven't had much to refer back to. I also find audio terms to be very broad and especially subjective. I've heard the TF10s described with many different audio descriptions; I've heard them described as dark and slow by a large portion of the community, while the other half of the community calls them bright and punchy. The same goes for the M50 - some refer to it as a basshead's headphones, other refer to them as bassless.

That's why I'm asking for something similar to something I can use as a reference (M50/HD25) to try to rule out the subjectivity of headphones. Instead of asking for a "warm, smooth" headphone, I'm asking for something that shares qualities of the two I listed so people can name headphones similar to them, despite if they believe they're "dark" or if they think they're "bright". 

Thanks though.

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:38 PM Post #12 of 16
Since you are in California, why don't you audition them? because unlike your country, in my country we only get limited choices for auditioning so we got to go along with the reviews here.
blink.gif

Oct 21, 2013 at 10:52 PM Post #13 of 16
I wish I could. Sadly, I live in a rural area and there aren't any stores around me that have headphones (that I'm interested in) I can audition. No Guitar Centers or anything. Closest I've got is an Apple Store about 15 minutes away, and the best set they have there is the B&W P5.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back