Looking for an IEM for Mowing the Lawn and Running.
Jun 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Ic3M0nk3y

New Head-Fier
Alright, so basically I need an IEM for while I mow the lawn. I'm currently just using the apple earpods for this which is a HORRIBLE idea because they hardly block out any noise (being open-backed) so what I normally do is just turn the volume on my iPhone up to about 70%. I hate doing this because I know it is terrible for my ears. They don't need to completely block out the lawnmower noise, but cutting the noise in half would be great. Also, I will be using these while I am running, so they need to be able to withstand quite a lot of sweat as it get's to be about 85 - 95 degrees Fahrenheit here during the summer. They also need to feel like they won't fall out, so having a little ear clip thing would really help, something to make sure they don't fall off. I don't really care too much about sound quality as I don't think I am going to be doing any critical listening while running or mowing the lawn. But I do want them to at the very least sound alright and I definitely don't want them to have piercing treble, but neutral, mid-centered, or bass centered is fine. I would prefer to keep my budget within $80, but I will take any suggestions up to $120 into consideration. I really hate the little mini earbud things, the portion that goes in your ear and is rubbery, usually an IEM will come with several sizes of them (kinda forgot what they are called lol). I just find them really gross and the make my ears incredibly itchy, but I am willing to try them. 

Overview. 
  1. IEM
  2. ~$80 (suggestions up to $120 are welcome)
  3. Able to block out a fairly large amount of noise (Lawnmower) 
  4. Able to withstand profuse sweating (running in 90 degree weather)
  5. Won't feel like they will fall out
  6. Durable
  7. Wire able to with stand being tugged on (sometimes my arm catches the wire while running, or it gets caught on the lawnmower handle)

Jun 26, 2013 at 2:30 PM Post #2 of 16
Why not buy a cheap throw around set. At r/headphones recommendation I got a set of JVC HAFX40B's and they work great, sound great, don't fall out, and when they break, I will just buy another set. Problem with using earbuds for outdoor activities (running, gym, lawn stuff, ect) is that they will eventually break. Its why I buy reasonably priced units and just treat them as quasi disposable. 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Jun 26, 2013 at 3:52 PM Post #3 of 16
You shouldn't go past 50% volume with the earpods for a start
wink.gif

Have you been looking into the 200-and-something iem shootout?

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #4 of 16
Quote:
You shouldn't go past 50% volume with the earpods for a start
wink.gif

Have you been looking into the 200-and-something iem shootout?

Yeah I know I shouldn't go past 50% volume, that's why I hate doing that. I'll go checkout that shootout and see if I find anything there I like, thanks for telling me about that :D

Quote:
 Its why I buy reasonably priced units and just treat them as quasi disposable. 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

I know that a lot of people do this, but I hate having to replace things. It gets really annoying to me after a while. 

Jun 26, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #5 of 16
Be sure to buy something that you think is comfortable and durable! I made that mistake with the etymotic hf2 purchase, it is neither of the before mentioned.

Jun 27, 2013 at 3:37 AM Post #7 of 16
Well this suggestion will be really over your budget but you can consider getting an IEM with active noise cancellation. AKG K391NC works miracles in that but it costs around $190.

Jun 27, 2013 at 12:23 PM Post #8 of 16
Quote:
I know that a lot of people do this, but I hate having to replace things. It gets really annoying to me after a while. 

I go through maybe one set of headphones every 8-12 months and I am VERY abusive. However its a personal thing I guess.

Jun 27, 2013 at 3:00 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:
Why not buy a cheap throw around set. At r/headphones recommendation I got a set of JVC HAFX40B's and they work great, sound great, don't fall out, and when they break, I will just buy another set. Problem with using earbuds for outdoor activities (running, gym, lawn stuff, ect) is that they will eventually break. Its why I buy reasonably priced units and just treat them as quasi disposable. 

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

HA-FX40? Nope. Just nope. I like the sound they have, but noise isolation is probably one of the worst, they barely block out noise.

One of the old IEMs I have, the Philips SHE3580, managed to block out noise very well, with just the stock tips. Just wear them over the ear, and they will stay there unless you or someone else grab the cable and pull forcefully

beside, you can invest on aftermarket double-flange tips, they improve noise isolation very well

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:07 PM Post #10 of 16
Well, the etymotic IEMs have terrific isolation.  I typically go for my Etymotic MC5's  to cut the engine noise on airplane flights.
These are $70 retail but more like $50 from certain sources.

I've had this set for 2 or 3 years and they still look brand new.  However, when they are not in my ears, I keep them loosely 
coiled in an ample wallet-sized carry case.  I avoid cases that are too small, with the idea that stuffing and untangling them
all the time just adds too much wear and tear.

Jun 27, 2013 at 5:12 PM Post #11 of 16
I've been using Ety's for 13 years to cut grass, work in machinery rooms, yard work. Just recently bought a replacement set. They work great for me.

Jun 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #12 of 16
Quote:
I've been using Ety's for 13 years to cut grass, work in machinery rooms, yard work. Just recently bought a replacement set. They work great for me.

Quote:
Well, the etymotic IEMs have terrific isolation.  I typically go for my Etymotic MC5's  to cut the engine noise on airplane flights.
These are $70 retail but more like $50 from certain sources.

I've had this set for 2 or 3 years and they still look brand new.  However, when they are not in my ears, I keep them loosely 
coiled in an ample wallet-sized carry case.  I avoid cases that are too small, with the idea that stuffing and untangling them
all the time just adds too much wear and tear.

Do they constantly feel like they are going to fall out though? Also do they make the inside of your ears itchy and are they able to withstand sweat? I think what I am now going to do is get an IEM mainly just for mowing the lawn, and I'll continue to use the earpods for running. 

Jun 28, 2013 at 2:18 PM Post #13 of 16
Quote:

Do they constantly feel like they are going to fall out though? Also do they make the inside of your ears itchy and are they able to withstand sweat? I think what I am now going to do is get an IEM mainly just for mowing the lawn, and I'll continue to use the earpods for running. 

Won't fall out. Just wouldn't advice you getting some cheaper ety's. No matter how nice you tread them you could encounter problems. My cable is fraying for example. An they aren't exactly the most comfortable iem.

Jun 28, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ic3M0nk3y /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The entry level MC5 comes with a selection of tips.  I like the standard triple flange silicon tips and
they provide a large and small size in that style.  Good chance that you can get a good secure fit.

I have a feeling that they'd be okay with sweat.  Very good seal between the silicon tip and the main body.  

On confort, very hard to predict.  My kids can't stand them and the feeling of having something in your ear 
is something that takes getting used to.  I'd say I had them for a week or so, before getting used to them.
Part of that time was finding the right tip size and time for the silicon to become more flexible.

Jun 29, 2013 at 7:34 PM Post #15 of 16
Quote:

The earpods for running is a good idea, there are some earbuds that are quality that don't block out noise or something like the Sony EX600's while are IEM's but block out very little.

I am sort of a fan boy but I like Shure's over the Ety because of the extra bass to get over stuff like the lawnmower vs a little less bass with the Ety's. Also they have a removable cable which can add to the cost sense I don't like the stock cable and I like the icable ($40-$50) or the UE900 or fiio cable better.

The Ety's will have more detail in the highs but are pretty bass like even more when used in loud enviroments.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back