Looking for an IEM <$500 and a DAC to go with it
Dec 15, 2021 at 9:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 28

funlistener

New Head-Fier
I've had a few headphones but they've all been around or under the $100 range. Was looking to upgrade. Currently I'm using the HifiMan RE Zero the most. Was looking to get the Blessing 2 and maybe the THX Onyx to go with it. Looking for something really portable.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for me or would this be fine? Thanks

Dec 15, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #2 of 28
What sound signature are you looking for? Blessing 2 leans pretty bright in the mid-treble and thin in the bass. You might prefer the Aria if you're looking for something warmer. Not going to even touch the DAC part of the question since people will dogpile me about DACs producing wider soundstage and crap.

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #6 of 28
Based on the little information and measurements I found about the RE-Zero it seems to be an IEM with relatively forward upper mids and rather flat bass response.
That should be a rather neutral sound signature, but with some uneven treble spikes.
I'd look for a smoother response in the region above 2kHz, and a bit more sub bass, which seems to be recessed on the RE-Zero

If you want to stick with dynamic driver IEMs, the two main contenders IMO are the Tanjim Oxygen and the JVC/Drop FDX1.
Both of them have more bass boost and a smoother upper midrange, and should be a significant upgrade technically.
I have personally only heard the Oxygen very briefly, so can't say much, but I have the FDX1 and it's a versatile, fun and technically pretty good option, definitely great value.

If you want a bigger step up in SQ I'd look at the Thieaudio Oracle, more info here: https://crinacle.com/2021/07/27/the-best-500-tribrids-oracle-excalibur-variations-est112-ej07m/
I have also not heard it, but I have the Variations against which the Oracle is being compared.
The Variations is excellent, but the recessed lower mid/upper bass region makes them a bit thin and lean. The Oracle should be close in technicalities and have a much safer tuning. Compared to your RE-Zero I would expect a significant increase in detail, clarity, separation and staging.
You might loose a little bit of body to the music, making it sound a little thinner, and vocals might be less intimate than what you are used to.

As always it would be best to test before buying
Also consider that you might need to invest some time to find tips that provide good fit.
Tips and fit can have a pretty big influence on the sound signature.

Dec 16, 2021 at 7:11 AM Post #7 of 28
ShotgunShane is the authority I listen to on all things IEM.
He recently reviewed the Moondrop Kato and said it is now his de-facto recommendation. Read the review on SBAF.

Dec 16, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #9 of 28
Based on the little information and measurements I found about the RE-Zero it seems to be an IEM with relatively forward upper mids and rather flat bass response.
That should be a rather neutral sound signature, but with some uneven treble spikes.
I'd look for a smoother response in the region above 2kHz, and a bit more sub bass, which seems to be recessed on the RE-Zero

If you want to stick with dynamic driver IEMs, the two main contenders IMO are the Tanjim Oxygen and the JVC/Drop FDX1.
Both of them have more bass boost and a smoother upper midrange, and should be a significant upgrade technically.
I have personally only heard the Oxygen very briefly, so can't say much, but I have the FDX1 and it's a versatile, fun and technically pretty good option, definitely great value.

If you want a bigger step up in SQ I'd look at the Thieaudio Oracle, more info here: https://crinacle.com/2021/07/27/the-best-500-tribrids-oracle-excalibur-variations-est112-ej07m/
I have also not heard it, but I have the Variations against which the Oracle is being compared.
The Variations is excellent, but the recessed lower mid/upper bass region makes them a bit thin and lean. The Oracle should be close in technicalities and have a much safer tuning. Compared to your RE-Zero I would expect a significant increase in detail, clarity, separation and staging.
You might loose a little bit of body to the music, making it sound a little thinner, and vocals might be less intimate than what you are used to.

As always it would be best to test before buying
Also consider that you might need to invest some time to find tips that provide good fit.
Tips and fit can have a pretty big influence on the sound signature.
The Re-Zero was just well reviewed at the time. It was a big purchase for me at the time, around $100 I think many years ago. Just wanted something better than the $20 I had. I even bought some Comply tips for them. I will check out the IEMs you mentioned. Any tips you recommend as well?
ShotgunShane is the authority I listen to on all things IEM.
He recently reviewed the Moondrop Kato and said it is now his de-facto recommendation. Read the review on SBAF.
Ok, I will check that out as well as his reviews

Dec 16, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #10 of 28
You should get the IEMs first and see how the stock tips fit. Tips can really alter the sound of the IEMs, and everyone's ears are different.

Foams usually plump up the bass and roll off the treble a little bit; silicones are crisper.

If you like the Comply but hate the price -- bonus if you've figured out the best size -- there are decent cheaper foams out there.
https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-FEYCH-Replacement-4-5-6-3mm-Earphones/dp/B07SN4HP5Z

And if you want to try silicones:
https://www.amazon.com/TENNMAK-Exclusive-Whirlwind-Silicone-Earphones/dp/B0823QQPG7

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2021 at 8:28 PM Post #11 of 28
You should get the IEMs first and see how the stock tips fit. Tips can really alter the sound of the IEMs, and everyone's ears are different.

Foams usually plump up the bass and roll off the treble a little bit; silicones are crisper.

If you like the Comply but hate the price -- bonus if you've figured out the best size -- there are decent cheaper foams out there.
https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-FEYCH-Replacement-4-5-6-3mm-Earphones/dp/B07SN4HP5Z

And if you want to try silicones:
https://www.amazon.com/TENNMAK-Exclusive-Whirlwind-Silicone-Earphones/dp/B0823QQPG7
Didn't know the tips also make a difference. Thought it was just a comfort thing. Those are good prices, I'll see if they have it on the Canadian site

Dec 17, 2021 at 2:33 AM Post #12 of 28
Based on the things I listen to, which sound signature you think is most suitable for me? Will be mainly used for music on the go

That's the thing...that's not as indicative as whatever compromises you're willing to make. Which is why I asked you about that.

One example. If you ask everybody here what to use for metal, 80% will recommend some kind of Grado, but I'm sitting over here listening to symphonic/power/prog metal with an HD600 because Grados (Prestige series) feel like they're just throwing everything including the kitchen sink off the stage .

Jazz? Good chance of a lot of people saying "HD650," but I'd prefer a Grado and ditch any pretense at imaging for a more raw sound than one that needs to get cranked up so livelier jazz doesn't sound too smoothened out, not to mention the response and higher sensitivity makes for more audible percussion. Although you do compromise a bit on the bass strings on some Grados.

In your case, for an IEM, it's even more complicated due to the ergonomics. If I'd just give you a relatively safe choice, I'd say Westone UM20 or W20, since I listen to mostly (K-)Pop and jazz on my Spotify on the go using a Westone2 (although I still sometimes listen to FLAC on my player using the same Westones). Problem is I had a bad experience with their warranty service so it's not all that safe a bet.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 2:43 AM Post #13 of 28
The Re-Zero was just well reviewed at the time. It was a big purchase for me at the time, around $100 I think many years ago. Just wanted something better than the $20 I had. I even bought some Comply tips for them. I will check out the IEMs you mentioned. Any tips you recommend as well?

The right tip will depend on the IEM and also your ear anatomy.
But there are some tips which kind of stand out over the rest, like:
  • Spinfit - IME among the most comfortable, but usually I prefer other's for SQ
  • Spiral Dot ++ --> My preference for various IEMs, extremely soft and comfortable + excellent SQ, unfortunately ridiculously expensive and only available on Amazon Japan
  • Final Audio Type E - they turn up a lot in discussions and I like them, firm fit, and also the sound is balanced
But I'd go about it by first deciding the IEM, then checking out the dedicated thread for that IEM and read about people's expriences with different tips
Deciding for the right IEM involves 2 parts, figuring out what is important to you, and finding the right resources with reliable opinions.
There are tons of reviews and opinions, but most are from people with limited experience. Some, who's opinions I find extremely useful in my own decisions are:
@crinacle https://crinacle.com/rankings/iems/
@toranku https://www.head-fi.org/threads/tor...ws-and-target-eq-filters.895832/post-14668736
@Precogvision https://www.head-fi.org/threads/precogs-iem-reviews-impressions.937468/post-15739675
@shotgunshane

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #15 of 28
Moondrop Blessing2 Dusk for extra bass (the "normal" version has less)
7hz timeless is also a very good IEM - the hype is real :L3000:

I own both and they are great. The Blessing2 is a littel bit better but the timless is "smoother" and more comfortable

Users who are viewing this thread

Back