Looking for an entry-level DAC w/remote
Oct 21, 2017 at 9:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

grokit

Headphoneus Supremus
Something like a Modi Uber but with a remote control. I re-purposed my old Matrix Mini-i to use between my vintage receiver and TV's optical out and it sounds great, what a piece of gear that was for the $. But commercials with no TIVO, ugh! The Mini-i that came after mine would've been perfect, but that one had quality issues and it's no longer around. They have a pro model now that looks great, but it's overkill for my needs. I don't need headphone/amp capability, but if it had pre-amp I could even adjust the volume remotely. I'm not looking for anything fancy, I really just want to be able to mute the volume on my DAC remotely. Anyone know of anything decent in the ~$200 range?

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2017 at 10:50 PM Post #2 of 3
Okay so this isn't a new subject, I should have done a search first. But I'm posting again because this particular need seems to pop up here pretty frequently. I'm surprised some company like Maverick Audio hasn't picked up the torch to fill this product niche.

But after some more thought, I decided that I don't really need another DAC, especially if I'm using one I already like quite a bit. What I need is a line-level remote volume control in between my Mini-i and my vintage Pioneer receiver, and lo and behold something exactly like that actually exists.

Has anybody tried a "MCM CUSTOM AUDIO 50-8394 LINE LEVEL VOLUME CONTROL IR REMOTE"?

I've got one incoming from Amazon, so if anybody cares I'll report back. I have high hope for this!
61RxY5CwWgL._SL1000_.jpg

I may report back anyways...
:popcorn:

Oct 31, 2017 at 3:32 PM Post #3 of 3
The MCM box works great, totally silent & highly recommended for the $ :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back