Looking for an audiophile speaker selector
Oct 24, 2003 at 2:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

kartik

Headphoneus Supremus
Looking for an audiophile speaker selector. Most of the stuff I found is between 100-250. I have 2 amps and one pair of low impedance speakers. I was looking at the Russound SDB 2.1. Any thoughts?

Oct 24, 2003 at 8:22 AM Post #3 of 6
IIRC, Moth or Granite made something, don't know the price range, though...

Oct 24, 2003 at 12:19 PM Post #4 of 6
Personally, I wouldn't bother with one of these. As you can only listen to one pair of speakers at a time a switchbox seems rather redundant.

When I want to swap my speakers around, I simply make sure that the amps are off and then just swap the speakers out. A quick pitstop can be made in a minute or so.

I know you want the convenience of having two, three or maybe even four sets of speakers rigged up at once so that you can A/B them but overall the loss in fidelity is not worth it. Also bear in mind that having more than one pair of speakers stood in close proximity in a room will cause them to 'excite' each other when in use and will ultimately lead to some strange effects.

Good luck anyway.

Oct 24, 2003 at 12:34 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by Trawlerman
Personally, I wouldn't bother with one of these. As you can only listen to one pair of speakers at a time a switchbox seems rather redundant.

When I want to swap my speakers around, I simply make sure that the amps are off and then just swap the speakers out. A quick pitstop can be made in a minute or so.

I know you want the convenience of having two, three or maybe even four sets of speakers rigged up at once so that you can A/B them but overall the loss in fidelity is not worth it. Also bear in mind that having more than one pair of speakers stood in close proximity in a room will cause them to 'excite' each other when in use and will ultimately lead to some strange effects.

Good luck anyway.

The only problem is repeatedly chaging my lofi av system to my hifi audio system is not going to be good for the connectors. But I agree with your loss of fidelity isssue. Nonetheless the prospect of overloading my expensive hifi amp is scary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back