Looking for an ampfilier for my Sennheiser HD201 headphones.
Jan 31, 2015 at 8:59 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Aviv

Head-Fier
Hey,
It's already been about a year that I use Sennheiser HD201 headphones, and since i started to create my own music, I have noticed that there is almost no bass in these headphones.
Suddenly yesterday, I plugged them into my iPhone 5C and the quality was awesome, with decent bass and higher frequencies and volumes. I understood that the problem is that I need an ampfilier. Does it really what causes the problem?
If so, what ampfilier do you suggest for me to buy? My budget is about $30, maximum $40. (Also, I have Logitech z323 speakers, which I mostly use them, so if there is any ampfilier in my budget that will be effective on both headphones and speakers that'll be even greater).

Thanks, that is my first post btw, sorry for any mistakes or typos if there are any :)

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #3 of 14
  FiiO E6. But those headphones doesnt have alot of bass. You would see bigger difference if you upgraded your headphones :)

Headphones will be quiet expensive tho, are there any headphones in my budget that will have big difference? If not, what's the cheapest one?
Also, does the FiiO E6 works on batteries?

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:24 AM Post #4 of 14
If you're creating music yourself you want neutral headphones though and not something with emphazised bass, so maybe your current ones with a FiiO E6 will do the job nicely.

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:29 AM Post #5 of 14
  If you're creating music yourself you want neutral headphones though and not something with emphazised bass, so maybe your current ones with a FiiO E6 will do the job nicely.

Yeah ok, I will look into the FiiO E6 and will probably buy it. I have few questions about it though, does it work on batteries which i'll need to replace every some time? Also, for netural sound, I heard that there is a bass boost option there, should it be turned off or something? Because if so, will the bass remain the same as it is now without amfilier? It's pretty weak now...
Also last questions, will I hear difference? I mean, does the price of it decent compared to the changes it makes in the sound?

Thanks again and sorry if bothering you with all my questions :p

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #6 of 14
Sorry I dont the E6 that well.

If you look at this graph you can see the your headphones has zero bass. If I were you I would honestly get some new headhones. Something that stays close to the 0 in Amplitude. I would also suggest open cans if you are only using them at home :)

graphCompare.php

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:39 AM Post #7 of 14

If you look at this graph you can see the your headphones has zero bass. If I were you I would honestly get some new headhones. Something that stays close to the 0 in Amplitude. I would also suggest open cans if you are only using them at home :)

graphCompare.php

I see. With new headphones, will I need an ampfilier too? In case the answer is no, I will consider buying new ones. What headphones you suggest which will be as close as possible to my budget?

Jan 31, 2015 at 9:51 AM Post #8 of 14

I see. Look at the Sennheiser HD203 graph, I saw it's pretty decent compared to the 201's, what do you think about it? Are there any other headphones that are better in that price? Does it need an ampfilier too? If no then I will consider buying it instead of buying an ampfillier.. 
Thanks

Jan 31, 2015 at 10:29 AM Post #9 of 14
  I see. Look at the Sennheiser HD203 graph, I saw it's pretty decent compared to the 201's, what do you think about it? Are there any other headphones that are better in that price? Does it need an ampfilier too? If no then I will consider buying it instead of buying an ampfillier.. 
Thanks

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/RMAF2013_Tascam_TH02Graph.jpg
The tascam th02 probably has the best measurements for a studio monitor in this price range.
It doesn't have a particularly low impedance but its not particularly large either.

http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=473&scale=30
The hd201s have a pretty low impedance. What sources are you using?

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:04 AM Post #11 of 14
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/RMAF2013_Tascam_TH02Graph.jpg
The tascam th02 probably has the best measurements for a studio monitor in this price range.
It doesn't have a particularly low impedance but its not particularly large either.

=473&scale=30]http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=7&graphID[]=473&scale=30
The hd201s have a pretty low impedance. What sources are you using?

I don't really know what is the effect of impedance.. What do you mean by asking what source am I using?

Superlux HD681 could also be something.

That seems good too, but my main debate on whether to buy a new headphones or not is that if it needs an amplifier, because if so that'll be too expensive for me.. Does it need?

Jan 31, 2015 at 6:59 PM Post #12 of 14
I don't really know what is the effect of impedance.. What do you mean by asking what source am I using?
That seems good too, but my main debate on whether to buy a new headphones or not is that if it needs an amplifier, because if so that'll be too expensive for me.. Does it need?

By "sources" I meant the devices you're using to play music.

Jan 31, 2015 at 7:43 PM Post #13 of 14
IMHO, I think you should wait, save your money, and then get some better headphones that will actually work for what you intend to do. Throwing $20-$50 at this now is not going to get you what you really want. Wait until you have $100 to spend, and your choices get much better: Sony V6, Sony MDR-10, Sennheiser HD280, NVX XPT100, etc, etc.

Jan 31, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #14 of 14
I think the HD201 are actually pretty decent, but yes they lack bass and an amp isn't really gonna do anything about it. For $30-$40 you can get the Superlux 668b which are a pretty big improvement and don't really need an amp

Users who are viewing this thread

Back