Looking for an amp...
Dec 3, 2002 at 8:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

IXZ5P

New Head-Fier
... to use with my etymotic 4p/4s. I have never had an amp before and do not understand their exact function. So I compared the sound with amp/no amp at a listening station in a cd store... I found the amp did not make the sound louder but more airy and lighter/crisper. It's the same kind of thing with comparing the Etymotics to a sony 888 earphone. The sound is airy/crisper... Without the Amp the sound was louder, suffocating in comparison. Now, I'm looking for a portable amp that can make the sound more airy/crisp. Is there one? I've considered the META42 but there are comments that this amp just makes the sound stronger. I don't know if I want this. I've also considered the new Total Airhead - I like it's size and battery efficiency. Maybe the 'crossfeed' is what I'm looking for....

Dec 5, 2002 at 9:32 AM Post #2 of 5
Really? Meta 42 just makes the sound stronger? Where did u get that? I would be extremely disappointed if that is all Meta 42 has to offer!!
Granted, I have my Meta 42 build as of now....I hope it doesn't sound like what u described.

Dec 6, 2002 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 5
I did a search and read it somewhere, hard to pinpoint. You should ask your amp builder for the Meta42's sound. I'm going to save my money and get a cosmic reference amp... why spend money on a cheaper amp when I can save the money for batteries to use with the cosmic....

Dec 6, 2002 at 11:42 AM Post #4 of 5
Well, that's not the impression I got when I order my Meta 42. I realized that a lot of people saying the improvement in bass is the most noticeable...and that is fine with me. But I would be damn pissed if that's all they offer.

Dec 6, 2002 at 12:47 PM Post #5 of 5
The Meta42 is considered on of the best DIY amps around and is considered a steal for the money. You should really read kelly's review of the Meta42, it might clear up any questions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back