Looking for an amp, I'm a headphone noob.
Nov 12, 2012 at 4:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

MasterOGA

New Head-Fier
I'm getting a pair of Audio-Technica ATHM50S headphones, my current pair (Some $30 Koss model I got from walmart) are too quiet.  Even with the computer volume maxed out and the pandora/CD/youtube/etc maxed too....it's not loud enough for me.  So I'm guessing the ATHM50's will be too quiet as well.  So I'll probably want an amplifier, right?  I see there are portable amplifiers, and desktop...anyone want to fill me in?  Thanks!

Nov 12, 2012 at 10:19 AM Post #2 of 5
There are so many choises on this. Firstly you should consider your use (mobile or desktop) and your budget. However, there are many headphones that will play loud straight out of an iPod, this is a matter of the ohm on the phones. High ohm needs more juice than low. Maybe you should do some research on head-fi on this. If you choose wisely you might sink your cash on the right cans instead of starting out with an amp. Then you could start thinking of an amp to give them enhancement later. Lots to consider here... Good luck.

Nov 13, 2012 at 2:11 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
For a home PC, looks like the new headphones I'm getting are 38 ohms, and the current ones are 100!  So I guess maybe I won't need an amp :)

Investing in an Asus Xonar DG sound card, $22.95 usually improve the sound quality over whatever audio is built into the motherboard.
http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Channel-Sound-Card-XONAR_DG/dp/B0045JHJSS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1352790584&sr=8-1&keywords=Asus+Xonar+DG

What is the make and model of your motherboard?

Nov 13, 2012 at 6:54 AM Post #5 of 5
I'm getting a pair of Audio-Technica ATHM50S headphones, my current pair (Some $30 Koss model I got from walmart) are too quiet.  Even with the computer volume maxed out and the pandora/CD/youtube/etc maxed too....it's not loud enough for me.  So I'm guessing the ATHM50's will be too quiet as well.  So I'll probably want an amplifier, right?  I see there are portable amplifiers, and desktop...anyone want to fill me in?  Thanks!

Depending how much you want to spend, I would purchase a FiiO E10 Dac/amp for your ATH-M50. I have owned this pairing in the past with good results. But....I would wait and see how the ATH-M50 sound straight from your computer first, because that headphones relatively easy to drive. If not....spend the $70 on FiiO E10.

Lift your audio experience as well as volume levels. :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back