Looking for an Amp + DAC for HD650s
Jan 7, 2009 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

ambrosecarr

100+ Head-Fier
Hi everyone,

I've tried out quite a few headphones since joining head-fi in late April of last year, and have since settled on the HD-650 (which I'm going to have to re-buy). I'm still not exactly sure how to describe in the correct Jargon what it is about them that I enjoy, but comparing them directly to K701s, RS-1s, RS-2s, HD-600s, and AD-H5000s I have decided that HD-650s are for me because of a combination of sound and comfort.
I listen to a wide variety of music with a large amount of Classical (strings and orchestral more than piano), electronica, acoustic rock, and classic rock. However, my playlists tend to be fairly varied and often contain metal and country as well.
I have since sold off all of my amplifiers and other headphones so that I can build a system around the HD-650s. I will be listening to music from my computer, and so I will need both a DAC and Amplifier. Up until this time my experience has been with solid state or portable amplifiers, however I would be happy to try out tubes if people think that there is a tube amplifier with exceptional synergy. I would be willing to consider both balanced and unbalanced, providing they fall into my price range.

So, my question is: with a ~$1700 budget, which DAC and amplifier should I purchase? Are there specific pairs which go well together? I am not concerned about spending all of the money either -- if there I can create a good system for less, I would be more than happy to save money for other things. Sorry that this question is so expansive. I greatly appreciate the help, hopefully I've provided enough information.
I have read many threads praising a multitude of amplifiers or DACs in conjunction with the HD-650s, the reason that I created a new thread was to see if people had opinions on which DACs AND Amplifiers have good synergy both with each other and the HD-650s, since I have the opportunity to build the whole system all at once.

Thanks in Advance! If there are previous threads that I've missed, please feel free to chastise me, provided that you hook me up with a link that I can slog through.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:51 AM Post #2 of 7
One man's opinion...Woo Audio WA6 SE and a Channel Islands VDA-2 DAC. Definitely within your budget. I would be suprised if you were not thrilled with the setup, depending upon your source(s).

Jan 8, 2009 at 12:55 AM Post #3 of 7
Could try a good woo like the 6SE or one of the bigger Woos, and one of those MHDT Havana tubed DACs, those look sexy.

Or a Meier Corda Symphony, it's an all in one for $1300 that has a switch that lets it operate as a standalone solid state preamplifier + standalone DAC, has usb, optical, coax etc and lots of bells and whistles to adjust it, 2 headphone ports, switches 5 inputs, crossfeed, gain switch, etc. It's pretty well liked around here with Senns.

Overall though, I've heard more people use Senns with tubes than with solid state. Go with Woo, I say. They seem to have fantastic looks, build quality, and of course customizable options from the factory - plus made in the USA.

Jan 8, 2009 at 4:33 AM Post #4 of 7
Thanks for the information. The Woo 6 and Woo 6 SE were both amplifiers that I had been considering, and I've read through the threads praising the 6's and the one comparing the two. I may well decide on one of these two Amps.

However, I'm still wide open about the DACs. Why do you recommend the VDA-2 DAC Breakfastchef?

Similarly, what makes the Havana a good DAC for this combination?

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:06 AM Post #5 of 7
Benchmark sells its Dac 1 with the HD 650 as a package - not saying this is a definitive recommendation though. For an amp/dac combo under USD 1000 possibly what you are after? Don't know if you can get the Dac 1 any cheaper than rrp

Jan 8, 2009 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 7
in my experience upgraded zhoulu's and various citypulses are more refined than the vda2 for about the same price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back