Looking for an affordable pair of quality IEMs
Jun 19, 2011 at 11:17 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Kin3MaTiX

New Head-Fier
Hello all,
  I am a newb to the scene of high quality IEMs and was directed here by a friend.  I am looking to buy a new pair of IEMs for everyday use, nothing too fancy, but I enjoy high quality audio and would like something that can bring out the character in good tracks.  My budget is max 120ish, would really like something lower but am a bit flexible if I think the extra expenditure is warranted.

Right now I have been looking at RE0/RE-ZEROs, NuForce NE-700x, Monster Turbine High Performance (Or possibly a version of the pro ones if I could find the right price).

I am looking for something that can handle classical and indie rock (I really enjoy bands like The National), but I also am big into techno/house (maybe some trance? am a big fan of Deadmau5) so I would like something that could handle these kinds of music fairly well and provide a nice depth and balance between ranges (my current set are a bit too bass heavy, which while great for house type music is sometimes too overpowering).

Does anyone have any suggestions, advice or thoughts after reading the above?

Thanks in advance.

Jun 22, 2011 at 1:39 PM Post #3 of 11
Thanks for the feedback.  Ive become really interested in the Vsonic GR07s, from all accounts it seems as though they have the sound signature Im interested in, yet are slightly above my price range.  Any recommendations for a pair that sounds similar to the GR07s but costs a bit closer to 100 bucks?

I found a pair of Ety HF5s and Senn IE6s at right around 100 bucks on amazon, would either of these provide a similar sound?  I would like a strong, but not overpowering low end.  I dont want something overly neutral but do enjoy a detailed soundstage.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 11
Ety HF5 and Senn IE6 are almost sonic opposites.  The HF5 are very detail-oriented and so equally balanced that to most people they are bass-light and too bright -- but I love them.  Most all Senn phones have more bass (sometimes very boomy bass), softer mids and softer highs so that they sound fairly laid back -- I've never heard the IE6, but most reviews of them say they fit the Senn house sound pretty consistently.

RE0/RE-Zero will be similar sounding to the HF5 -- detailed and balanced.  Monster Turbine, Nuforce NE-700, Hippo VB will all be pretty bass heavy with varying degrees of good mids and highs.

If you don't mind using some EQ, you can tone down the Monster Turbine, or beef up the HF5 to probably fit your sonic desires.

Jun 22, 2011 at 2:27 PM Post #5 of 11
definitely the re0's... you gotta give them some time...  its amazing.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 11
I would whole-heartedly recommend the RE0's. When I initially tried them I was disappointed with the sound because I had totally incorrect tips on them for my ears. Once I sifted through the tips and found some that suited my ears, i was blown away at what such a cheap set of earphones can achieve. They are biased towards the treble end of the spectrum, but I only really notice this when listening to bass driven electronic music, and it's nothing some EQing wont fix. Buy them, spend some time experimenting with the tips, perhaps experiment with some EQ, and be entirely satisfied at the returns that your outlay has rewarded you with. Best bang for buck IEM's available in my humble opinion.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #7 of 11
Others have had different experiences, but for me, while the RE0s sound great, the materials and build quality are terrible.  I've had 2 pairs fail in 6 months, one of which has failing adhesive in both earbuds, which suggests it's not just a QA problem but a materials and/or manufacturing process problem.

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:47 PM Post #8 of 11
Well now Im torn, HF5s or the Re0s, or for that matter, what about the Re-Zeros?

Hows the build quality on the etys compare?  and are the Re-Zeros a worthwhile step from the Re0s?

Jun 22, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #9 of 11
I have heard about the RE0 having build quality issues, although i'm yet to have any problems myself. I'd love to give the HF5's a try, i'm sure they are a very competent earphone. Are you going to be using them as a headset too? Because if you are, then that does make the HF5's more favourable. Especially for the awareness app, if you're using iphone: http://www.etymotic.com/awareness/

Jun 22, 2011 at 8:33 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
Well now Im torn, HF5s or the Re0s, or for that matter, what about the Re-Zeros?

Hows the build quality on the etys compare?  and are the Re-Zeros a worthwhile step from the Re0s?

The RE-ZERO is a lower-impeadence version of the RE0. In order to make the RE0 really come alive, you'll need an amp. Build quality on Etys is good as long as you treat them well (use the case they provide when you stuff them in your pocket), and their customer service is excellent in case you do have any problems. Get a good seal, and the bass on the HF5 is very tight and accurate. With a bad seal, it's nonexistent 
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back