Looking for an affordable good speakers suitable in my tiny room !!!
Oct 21, 2015 at 6:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Anthony Lo

Head-Fier
Dear All,

I want to setup a computer audio system in my tiny room. Please see the attached photo. My desk has 190cm width and the depth from the wall is 83cm. This is my home office and I will work there and spend most of the time. My purpose just want to have a good and quality sound for my classical, jazz, blues, Rock and Pop music.

This is what I have about the audio system so far:
Source : PC Windows10 ( Storage FLAC music files)
DAC/AMP : Magni 2 uber/ Modi 2 Uber, APOGEE Groove.
Headphone : HIFIMAN HE-400

I am looking for an affordable speakers on my desk. In these few days, I am reading a lot reviews about the speakers and powered amplifier.  

Here is the list what's in my selection.
1. Onkyo TX-8020 Stereo Receiver + Elac B5  (Most expansive, but seems Elac B5 is most outstanding speaker so far although I never heard the speakers. Also I don't know the amp is it match with the speaker)
2. Onkyo TX-8020 Stereo Receiver + Pioneer SP-BS22-LR (Suggestion by  from Cnet, I can play Vinyl and CD in the future.)
3. Onkyo TX-8020 Stereo Receiver + Micca MB42x (The best buy so far in the list)
4. JBL LSR305 (NO need to buy the powered AMP)
5. Audioengine 5+ (NO need to buy the powered AMP)

What I concern is about which speakers is most suitable my size of the working space. DO you guys have any suggestion or recommendation? Looking for your guys advice !!!

Cheers!!!

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:51 AM Post #2 of 11

Here is the list what's in my selection.
1. Onkyo TX-8020 Stereo Receiver + Elac B5  (Most expansive, but seems Elac B5 is most outstanding speaker so far although I never heard the speakers. Also I don't know the amp is it match with the speaker)
2. Onkyo TX-8020 Stereo Receiver + Pioneer SP-BS22-LR (Suggestion by  from Cnet, I can play Vinyl and CD in the future.)
3. Onkyo TX-8020 Stereo Receiver + Micca MB42x (The best buy so far in the list)
4. JBL LSR305 (NO need to buy the powered AMP)
5. Audioengine 5+ (NO need to buy the powered AMP)

What I concern is about which speakers is most suitable my size of the working space. DO you guys have any suggestion or recommendation? Looking for your guys advice !!!

Out of those I'd be biased for the JBLs - they have a very good rep and more importantly they're designed specifically for nearfield applications. One problem though: how much of that stuff can you clear out of your desk? These are going to take up a fair bit of space.

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:06 PM Post #5 of 11
A pair of active nearfield monitors and an inexpensive USB audio interface is the way to go in your situation.

5" speakers like the LSR305  actually look pretty big when you first set them up on a desk but you soon get used to it. Try and mount the speakers on stands or even 'fly' them above your monitor if you can.

You can get smaller ~4" active monitors but these are usually more expensive than the entry level 5" equivalents. If you really want to save as much space as possible without sacrificing quality check out ADAM A3X, EVE SC203 and SC204, Genelec 8020. On a really tight budget Mackie CR4 or Fostex PM04 are probably your best bet.

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 11
  A pair of active nearfield monitors and an inexpensive USB audio interface is the way to go in your situation.

5" speakers like the LSR305  actually look pretty big when you first set them up on a desk but you soon get used to it. Try and mount the speakers on stands or even 'fly' them above your monitor if you can.

You can get smaller ~4" active monitors but these are usually more expensive than the entry level 5" equivalents. If you really want to save as much space as possible without sacrificing quality check out ADAM A3X, EVE SC203 and SC204, Genelec 8020. On a really tight budget Mackie CR4 or Fostex PM04 are probably your best bet.

Thank you for your advice. But I have some confuse.... I already have Magni 2 Uber, so I am still need to buy USB audio interface? BTW, what is it? 

Oct 21, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Lo /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Thank you for your advice. But I have some confuse.... I already have Magni 2 Uber, so I am still need to buy USB audio interface? BTW, what is it? 

You won't, but he always recommends interfaces because they're cheaper and actually have better preamp circuits. If your didn't have the Schiits and you don't plan on driving headphones at all an entry level interface is always the better bet; otherwise, many lower cost interfaces tend to have high output impedance or relatively low power, relatively high distortion level output at high impedance, so you really need to check the specs to avoid getting an interface that will have issues with the headphone you have (or vice versa).

Oct 21, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #9 of 11
Quote:
So my Magni 2 Uber can be as a pre-amp and just connect to JBL LSR305 is fine? 

Supposedly, since a lot of other people use single-ended (RCA output) preamps to send a single-ended signal into the balanced input of monitors. Not as good as an interface with balanced outputs, but unless you're dealing with noise, an entry level interface struggling to drive the wrong headphone will be more audible than any relatively minor specs issue with using an otherwise good SE preamp with a balanced input monitor. Note I'm basing that on how I haven't really heard of any real issues with SE to balanced line-in connections since I myself would never hook up SE and balanced as such.

Alternately, the great thing about the KRK is that it has RCA inputs. It might not be the most accurate for studio use but for home users that makes it convenient; plus, unlike other home audio speakers (active or not) it has a rugged pro audio finish. My friend who does net-broadcast events just tosses his pair into the trunk of his car (the only things I've seen him taking care of properly were his guitars) along with his server PC, and they're barely scratched up.

Oct 22, 2015 at 5:21 AM Post #10 of 11

Supposedly, since a lot of other people use single-ended (RCA output) preamps to send a single-ended signal into the balanced input of monitors. Not as good as an interface with balanced outputs, but unless you're dealing with noise, an entry level interface struggling to drive the wrong headphone will be more audible than any relatively minor specs issue with using an otherwise good SE preamp with a balanced input monitor. Note I'm basing that on how I haven't really heard of any real issues with SE to balanced line-in connections since I myself would never hook up SE and balanced as such.

Alternately, the great thing about the KRK is that it has RCA inputs. It might not be the most accurate for studio use but for home users that makes it convenient; plus, unlike other home audio speakers (active or not) it has a rugged pro audio finish. My friend who does net-broadcast events just tosses his pair into the trunk of his car (the only things I've seen him taking care of properly were his guitars) along with his server PC, and they're barely scratched up.

hmm... what if I buy a Xonar Essence ST(X) soundcard to my PC, coz this card included 1/4" TRS connectors. So I can connect the LSR305 to my PC directly. What do you think ?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-5.html

Oct 22, 2015 at 6:55 AM Post #11 of 11
Quote:

hmm... what if I buy a Xonar Essence ST(X) soundcard to my PC, coz this card included 1/4" TRS connectors. So I can connect the LSR305 to my PC directly. What do you think ?

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/high-end-pc-audio,3733-5.html

It won't work. One of the 6.3mm outputs on those is a stereo headphone output, the other is a microphone input. Basically, you'd buy that if you want to record yourself singing, or if you want your podcast to be as close as possible to a professionally done show.

You're better off buying an audio interface like the Scarlett 2i4 or 2i2 if your goal is to record sound as well as control your studio monitors.

The thing is there are different kinds and uses for 6.3mm plugs/jacks; they're not all the same. For starters there are "stereo" or better yet 3-pin plugs - this is what you normally find on a headphone cable and a headphone output on almost all amplifiers - and as such these are wired R+, L+, and GND. The "mono" or rather 2-pin plugs and jacks are used on mics and are wired + and -. When used as a single-ended connection to another amp (whether separate or built into the speaker cabinets), you have two cable runs, one for L and another for R, each with a + and - signal. The 3-pin when used as a balanced connection to another amp for example that takes balanced input, each is wired as +, -, and GND, separately for L and R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back