Looking for an acoustic guitar!
May 11, 2006 at 6:08 AM Post #16 of 18
What kind of acoustic guitar playing do you do? Fingerstyle? Single notes with a pick? Heavy strumming? Light strumming? Celtic music? Bluegrass? You can certainly play any and all styles on any acoustic, but some are better suited than others.

I'm a total acoustic guitar junkie, but I'm primarily a fingerstyle player. My main gigging guitars are Santa Cruz. I have an OM/PW and a D/PW, both of which I would highly recommend. Both guitars are quite versatile, but work well for my fingerstyle playing. If you are thinking about a Martin D28, then give the Santa Cruz D/PW a listen, as I think it is better for a bit more money. My favorite guitar is a Goodall Baritone Jumbo, but Goodalls are pretty far from your price range.

One thing to consider is how comfortable you will be taking a $2K guitar to college. I had a nice Taylor when I was in college, but didn't bring it to school for fear of something happening to it.

Bryan

May 11, 2006 at 6:23 AM Post #17 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan T
What kind of acoustic guitar playing do you do? Fingerstyle? Single notes with a pick? Heavy strumming? Light strumming? Celtic music? Bluegrass? You can certainly play any and all styles on any acoustic, but some are better suited than others.

I'm a total acoustic guitar junkie, but I'm primarily a fingerstyle player. My main gigging guitars are Santa Cruz. I have an OM/PW and a D/PW, both of which I would highly recommend. Both guitars are quite versatile, but work well for my fingerstyle playing. If you are thinking about a Martin D28, then give the Santa Cruz D/PW a listen, as I think it is better for a bit more money. My favorite guitar is a Goodall Baritone Jumbo, but Goodalls are pretty far from your price range.

One thing to consider is how comfortable you will be taking a $2K guitar to college. I had a nice Taylor when I was in college, but didn't bring it to school for fear of something happening to it.

Bryan

per my earlier post, i agree with bryan...agree that something like a santa cruz or a goodall or a collings would be preferable to a martin or a taylor...santa cruz are made in california, goodall in hawaii, and collings in texas, i believe...i think american-made acoustic guitars are very good...hope you can find a shop that has all these guitars...sit down with them for a few hours and see what you like...

May 11, 2006 at 8:57 AM Post #18 of 18
I own a Taylor 310ce. Love it. The pickup system is the older Fishman which blends flawlessly with all the amps I've owned/borrowed. The build quality of the guitar is well above par. Along with Martins, they hold their value well, (if later you decide to sell it).

I can only recommend Martin or Taylor as a great choice based on personal experience. There are many brands that I know friends use and love, so just make sure you audition them all. Bring a friend along who is proficient and be careful with dealers who tend to push their favorites. (witnessed too many times)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back