Looking for an ABSOLUTELY AMAZING pair of headphones
Jul 30, 2013 at 12:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

MusicCrave93

100+ Head-Fier
That time has come for me again that I'm pretty sure comes for all of you also. I'm yearning for some new cans.

Now the headphones I have experience with are the Sony extra bass, the V-Moda crossfade LP2, and the V-Moda M-100's which I am currently using. Don't get me wrong I love my M-100's but the crave has come back and I know there is better out there.

Now what I'm looking for is...

. Crisp clear slound

. Tight controlled bass even at maximum volumes

. Outstanding soundstage that makes me feel like the music is sorrounding me

Don't care about price cause I plan on saving up until I can afford it anyways.

Jul 30, 2013 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 24
Depends on how far you want to go. You can go for a stax step up or stay in the relm of non-electro static.

I think as far as non electrostatic phones go, HE-800 with a good set up would be close to ideal

Jul 30, 2013 at 1:26 AM Post #7 of 24
Quote:
I hope you know that you just ran circles around my head with those terms lol.

Can you please make it simpler?

ahh sry about that i wrote it right before lunch break so i was in a bit of a rush. It is under the general consensus that electro-static headphones are the best headphones (there are three types of headphones: dynamic, orthodynamic, electro-static). Stax would be the most reputed company that makes electro-static headphones. However, these phones require more specilized amp equipment and the phones themselves are prohibitively expensive.

HD-800 would be sennheiser HD800. They're currently known to be the best dynamic headphone in the market at the moment and is well reputed for its amazing sound reproduction / detail when put together with a good set up. The best HD 800 set up is a argument that rages on forever but the phones themselves cost around 1400 in USA i believe. Much cheaper than asia. i think this would be the best fit for what you are looking for.

Jul 30, 2013 at 6:55 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:
Just checked out the HD800's. Does anyone know where I can test them and get a sample listening?

Not willing to spend $1,500 without hearing them first.

Would also like other suggestions.

you can always purchase from a store with great return policy. Headroom comes to mind -> 30 day return policy no questions asked but you pay for shipping back only.

The general top tier phones aside from electro static phones: HD800, HE-6 or HE-500, LCD 2.2 or 3, T1
*HE800, HE-6, T1 are neutral sounding, LCD is dark sounding, HE-500 is not strongly colored but not as neutral as the first three.

You can perhaps add D7000 or TH900 to the list but i do not think they match up to the previously mentioned phones in general considering the price. (just my opinion though)

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:07 PM Post #11 of 24
STAX SR-507

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:11 PM Post #12 of 24
HD800 with the Anaxilus mod on a Bottlehead Mainline or Crack amp.

Or STAX SR-Lambda Signature. Hoh mah gawd that was the best-sounding headphone I have ever heard. I liked it more than the SR-007 MKI. It did female vocals, guitars, and overall soundstage size like no other; dang that's an amazing headphone.

Basic STAX rig (SR-207 + SRM-252S) isn't bad either and can be found for around $600 USD new from Japan. You'll need to get either a $45 USD USA 120 V to Japan 100 V voltage transformer, or a $15-27 USD 120 V American voltage, 12 V DC, 0.5 A wall wart to replace the 100 V Japanese one.

Quote:
Quote:
Just checked out the HD800's. Does anyone know where I can test them and get a sample listening?

Not willing to spend $1,500 without hearing them first.

Would also like other suggestions.

you can always purchase from a store with great return policy. Headroom comes to mind -> 30 day return policy no questions asked but you pay for shipping back only.

The general top tier phones aside from electro static phones: HD800, HE-6 or HE-500, LCD 2.2 or 3, T1
*HE800, HE-6, T1 are neutral sounding, LCD is dark sounding, HE-500 is not strongly colored but not as neutral as the first three.

You can perhaps add D7000 or TH900 to the list but i do not think they match up to the previously mentioned phones in general considering the price. (just my opinion though)

* Outstanding soundstage that makes me feel like the music is sorrounding me
^ LCD-2 nor 3 have that kind of sound

...oh wait, speaking of soundstage, and no price limit:
AKG K1000 bass heavy version on the Bottlehead BeePre. That combo was amazing. Open the K1000's "wings" and you get a speaker-like sound experience.

Jul 30, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:
* Outstanding soundstage that makes me feel like the music is sorrounding me ^ LCD-2 nor 3 have that kind of sound

AKG K1000 bass heavy version on the Bottlehead BeePre. That combo was amazing. Open the K1000's "wings" and you get a speaker-like sound experience.

good pt. I forgot about that. I just ended up writing that cause i was just thinking of the general top tier phones when i wrote that sentence.

Where would you acquire a AKG K1000 these days? I rarely see them on the sales forum. Haven't heard the K1000 but i heard they weren't very comfortable though

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:01 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:
Quote:
* Outstanding soundstage that makes me feel like the music is sorrounding me ^ LCD-2 nor 3 have that kind of sound

good pt. I forgot about that. I just ended up writing that cause i was just thinking of the general top tier phones when i wrote that sentence.

Where would you acquire a AKG K1000 these days? I rarely see them on the sales forum. Haven't heard the K1000 but i heard they weren't very comfortable though

eBay?
I just did a search for "AKG K1000"
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xakg+k1000&_nkw=akg+k1000&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Jul 30, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:
eBay?
I just did a search for "AKG K1000"
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.Xakg+k1000&_nkw=akg+k1000&_sacat=0&_from=R40

lol talk about price gouging. ($4 k? rly.....?) I remember seeing two pairs of AKG 1000 on sales forum less than 2 months ago and it was sold for less than half that amt. No way they're worth that much considering alternatives. Unfortunately it is very rare that i've seen the akg 1000 on sales forum and they tend to disappear fast if they do make a apparence in the sales forums.

if you want a reasonble price for this i feel like u just need to stalk the sales forum and pray someone will post.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back