Looking for amplified notebook sound card
Jan 14, 2010 at 10:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

wuaffiliate

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for a good express card slot sound card that hopefully has a ton of options and improves my sound since im running realtek hd onboard.

I was looking at the SB X-Fi Xtreme notebook but there really isn't a ton of valid information online.

I am curious to know if it is worth buying a $150-$200 sound card or just a usb dac.

Thanks

Edit:

Currently i am running my pc and laptop thru my technics sterio amp and two sets of speakers, my desktop monitors and floor speakers or headphones.

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:18 PM Post #2 of 8
That card doesn't seem to do any kind of amplification, and probably isn't going to be a whole ton better than your onboard audio.

Doubt you will find any kind of internal laptop compatible card that will be much good. A USB Dac w/ built in amp might be your best and only solution. Doubt they will amplify speakers properly(Unless powered) but should be ok with headphones. I am not in a position to recommend anything atm though, I am sure more experienced head-fiers can do that.

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:29 AM Post #4 of 8
I'd be going with a USB DAC. It's pretty much always a better option than a soundcard unless you want the hardware processing some soundcards have for gaming etc.

Jan 20, 2010 at 3:31 AM Post #5 of 8
I'd highly recommend finding a USB DAC/Amp. Which isn't too hard to find.

Jan 20, 2010 at 7:07 PM Post #6 of 8
Definately check out Nuforce Udac- VERY small and surprisingly excellent SQ-USB powered too! has a very capable headphone amp and line outputs as well-just what you're looking for.

Amazon has them directly from Nuforce for $99

Jan 20, 2010 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 8
pci has +12 Vdc, does express? - makes adequate amplification more difficult if 3.3 is your highest supply V

Users who are viewing this thread

Back